Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Find a Temp File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garganof

garganof

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Lost a very important file that is in temp files. I cannot figure out how to get to those files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Try Folder Options. Click the View tab. Choose the option "Show hidden files and folders" ("Show hidden files, folders and drives" in Windows 7) and click OK. Now you can navigate all the way to the Temp folder.

Regards..........

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi

First of all, i would like to know how an important file ended up in temp folder ?

#4 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Something else you could try - do a search for the file extension type and add a wild card - so for instance if you're looking for a Word temp file you could search for *.docx or a missing PowerPoint, *.ppt

Edited by th3fall3n777, 27 July 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

By nature...any temp file is not considered important in the Windows scheme...they are not maintained or saved routinely as temporary files.  Whether we are talking about temp files relating to programs or whether we are talking about temporary Internet files...they should be routinely deleted by Windows as a normal process.  By virtue of being desitgnated "temporary", Windows has nothing indicating that such files should be retained...that's what saving files to the hard drive or whatever...is all about.

The fact that some TIF and other temporary files...do remain when they should have been removed...is just a failing of the Windows system to remove them at a given time.

Louis

#6 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'm not specifically sure about "pre-Office 2010" versions of the suite, or non-Office programs for that matter, but I know that with Office 2010, Microsoft auto-generates temp files as a system of "assisting" those who don't save their work as often as they probably should.  In my day work, I've often had users call in who have lost a spreadsheet or Word doc - I always (as mentioned by Hamluis in post #5) coach them on the importance of saving and saving often, but I have been able to recover many a project using the search method I mentioned in my earlier post.  

Disclaimer: Relying on Windows to save your work for you is by no means a tool that should be relied on, and although I have experienced success in using wild cards to search for missing temp files, it definitely does not work 100% of the time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users