Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not boot, even from the disc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 coleja

coleja

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hi there! I have a Dell Inspiron 1720. I formated it last week, with a Dell OEM Windows 7 Ultimate disc, which it had been running with perfectly fine, for the last year and a half. It was my Mother's old computer, and she gave it to me, which was the only reason I did a format on it. For a week, it had been working fine. Then it did a windows update and required a reboot. It would get as far as the windows noise, and as soon as I went to click on my user account, it would reboot again. It continued this cycle, and I tried hitting f8 and do a restore to last known best configuration and it will only go to the black windows screen with the caption "Starting Windows". It won't boot into safe mode, I can't even get it to boot from the windows disc, where I would of course attempt a repair, or format again. It just sits at this same black "starting windows" screen. I have a bootable USB stick with Windows 7 on it, and even when I try to boot from that, it won't go past the starting windows screen.

Also, the power button all of a sudden doesn't work. It will only power down when I remove the battery and ac adapter, and as soon as I replace the battery, it powers on.

It will run a preboot diagnostics, and says it can't complete it.

What is wrong with my machine? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2013 - 09:48 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

Hi Jamie,

It can be frustrating when the system fails to work properly after Windows installation and appreciate your efforts to fix the issue.

I suggest you to release the static charge that the system may contain by following the steps provided below:

1.Remove the Battery and the AC Adapter.
2.Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds and release it.
3.Reconnect the Battery and AC Adapter and check if the system works properly.

Please run the preboot diagnostics again and let me know the result.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 coleja

coleja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

The diagnostics completed without any errors or problems, and wanted to reboot as soon as it was over, but the computer still wouldn't go past the black windows logo screen. I'd read somewhere that the CMOS battery could be bad, so I replaced that, changed the time in the BIOS, reset the BIOS for good measure, and again, it still wouldn't go past the windows logo screen. The fact that my power button didn't work, and the machine would instantly power up as soon as the battery or power supply were plugged in, bothered me. So I tore the entire machine apart, and unplugged everything from the motherboard. I plugged in the power cord, and only the light for power supply lit up, not the power light. I plugged in the keyboard, which on this machine contains the power button. When I pressed the power button, the machine turned on. When I held down the power button, the machine powered off.

I put everything back together, powered it on and am now reinstalling windows after a windows repair failed (I had changed the HDD from SATA to whatever other format it could go to in the BIOS and changed all values back to default after repeated attempts to do anything else failed).

No idea what was wrong with the machine, except that perhaps something was being pinched on the motherboard. All is well again. Only posting my steps, to help future users with the same "windows won't boot past black logo screen" issue.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users