Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sudden loud hissing noise and picture interference??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lucklesspedestrian

lucklesspedestrian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hi

I have a fairly average boring x 64 based PC with an i3 processor running Windows 7

Increasingly frequently (every hour or so) the picture on the monitor suddenly turns grey and fuzzy, (can still see whatever is on the screen, it's just tinted grey) there are a series of red and blue thin vertical lines across the picture and most notably there is a loud white noise kind of sound. Turning down the volume controls on the speakers or the pc makes no difference.

This last for about 15 seconds, the monitor shuts into standby and the sound disappears.

The computer itself does not shut down

After about a further 10 seconds I turn the monitor back on and everything is fine, the webpage or whatever is still there.

It happens whether I'm on the internet or just doing stuff on the pc e.g. word processing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

ps: posted on internal hardware because I'm assuming that's the problem....could be wrong!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

are you using onboard integrated graphics or a dedicated graphics card?   if the card is in a heat meltdown, it won't recover until a shutdown/reboot  after quite a bit of time to let it cool off. 

is there another machine you can use your monitor on to check to see if it is the monitor ?,,  do you suffer alot of power outages?  

also, what kind of monitor is it?   do you use a UPS  (another way of saying "battery" )  ?  

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 lucklesspedestrian

lucklesspedestrian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

are you using onboard integrated graphics or a dedicated graphics card?   if the card is in a heat meltdown, it won't recover until a shutdown/reboot  after quite a bit of time to let it cool off. 

is there another machine you can use your monitor on to check to see if it is the monitor ?,,  do you suffer alot of power outages?  

also, what kind of monitor is it?   do you use a UPS  (another way of saying "battery" )  ?  

Sorry, should have clarified

It's an onboard intergrated graphics Intel media accelerator and the monitor is actually a DGM 22" LED TV. Don't use a UPS, don't suffer from power outages. Recovery time as I say is pretty quick, less than 30 secs and never had to reboot.

It's a good idea, I'll swap the monitors with a back up PC I've got in the spare room, leave them both running and see what happens!

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users