Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Port is remote controlled.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 srin63

srin63

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:44 AM

Hello all,

I use an USB dongle to connect to the internet. It get's turned off while I am using it. This issue is not regarding low network coverage or availability, hence the fact; It is being controlled remotely. I have disabled remote access, but still the issue exists.

I suspect they have gained my IP address information. Please guide me how to prevent control to my USB stick or port.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Unless you are paying relatively big bucks for your internet access, you don't have a fixed (static) IP address for 'Them' to access - you get whatever IP address is convenient for your ISP when you connect to the internet, and if 'they' are accessing your computer, why would 'they' disconnect you from the internet ?

The problem is more likely to be with your USB dongle and its drivers. I suggest you go to the manufacturer's web-site and download and install the latest drivers for your dongle. It could also be a faulty dongle. These are cheap devices with a failure rate.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hi -

Just a brief add on to the post from Chris Cosgrove -

I also use this type of connection when I am on the road, rather than use Unsecured Coffee Shops etc.

The plug in contact is very sensitive, so I have lost internet  in what I thought was in a very good network coverage area, only to find the USB device was usually at fault.

Since then I have found / come to accept that the device was at fault in 99% of all cases -

Thank You -

#4 srin63

srin63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

Thank You Chris & Noknojon. 

Chris you are very much right. If they want to steal data, why would they want to disconnect my dongle? It makes no sense to me as well.          

Yes, its time to change my dongle. I'm using this from past 4 years, & encountered no such incidents. Now, I understand that it has almost reached its end of life.

I will check for driver update & if needed I will replace the dongle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users