Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about switching GPU's

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BShult

BShult

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Asus M4A78T-E board
4GB DDR3
2 HD's TB each
Win7 U x64

Currently im using the Onboard graphics which is a ATI Radeon 3300 128mb but i also have a Nvidia GeForce 210 512mb DDR3 PCI-E x1 still in the box and was wondering if i should go ahead and pop it in. it obviously looks like that it SHOULD work better but one thing im worried about  is Nvidia card with a AMD CPU and chipset is a good idea. pretty much just wondering if its worth doing or not. the machine was not built to be a gaming machine but i do play stuff like FSX,Train Sims and TotalWar:ME2 and my son is a Minecraft freak. i can usually set the graphics on about medium and get by pretty decent depending how much is going on (i have to keep AI trafic low on FSX) but if im able to then i would love to beef up the graphics for the sake of gaming not only for myself but for my son as well but if switching over to the card wouldnt really make that much of a difference for me then thats fine. if i actually do put the card in will the Onboard graphics still be usable (the VGA anyways) along with the card or should/will it be disabled ?

Motherboard URL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

that 210 card looks greek to me.it doesn't have the standard PCI 2.0/2.1 Motherboard interface and it doesn't have standard VGA / DVI  ports on it. I do see cable adapters for VGA  and something else. I would stick with the onboard configuration you are currently using functionally. i can't for the life of me understand why that card would be up around $100 unless it is for really old legacy machines like 16 bit Win 3.1 or something. Anyway, your article caught my attention because i used to run an EVGA GeForce 210 in my current but antiquated  2005 XP32 machine like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130586

It was such a sweet little low-profile card, i had no problems with it for a year, then the fan started sounding like a fly stuck in a window and it would overheat to 225 degrees fahrenheit and black out the two displays. I tried to salvage that little sweetie the best i could but to no avail, the fan was just shot and i didn't know exactly how to improvise another fan on it. That cheap little card would power two monitors with VGA and DVI-I and then on top of that it would output HDMI signal  to an LCD TV for home theater all at once. Then i upgraded to a Visiontek Radeon HD5550 and all is well  and fine like it used to be with that sweet little 210.

So, for lack of a better way to put this,  stick with what is working

If not, then...............

are you looking to hook up dual displays? If the answer is yes, then...

inspect your motherboard for the appropriate PCI 1.0 interface that card is wielding. Look at the cable adapters to be sure the appropriate display ports are provided for.   Be sure to check your current BIOS settings and maybe write down the pertinent info. And if the install goes awry, then you have a reference to fall back on. also, be prepared to uninstall the card drivers and set your BIOS back to onboard graphics/original settings . I do not know if the onboard VGA and a dedicated card would work with your machine at the same time, I think some machines will do it and some won't

To get to BIOS, press F2 (may be different for your machine) during the very first moments of power-up  and don't change anything unless it relates to the display configuration.

Edited by synergy513, 28 July 2013 - 01:11 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users