Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 1310 with system error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Headhurts

Headhurts

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

Hi. Can anyone give me help with my computer please.

I have a Dell Vostro 1310 running on windows xp but a couple of days ago everything completely froze on me. I gave it 20 mins and still nothing moved so i resulted to a force shut down(hitting the power off switch)

When it tried to reboot i got this message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

\windows\system2\config\system

we thought we had a boot disc and proceedd to place this into the cd slot - this however did not appear to read and is now refusing to come out of the slot (no pinhole eject visable)

is there any way around this problem?

We dont have the original  xp disc (eaten by a previous computer and spat out in pieces)

but we do have another laptop running xp and we do have an external drive floating that we use to back up photos etc

thank your for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

Dell Guidance

Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Louis

#3 Headhurts

Headhurts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

Thank you for your time Louis.

I am not that good at computer tech but it appears that those links need me to be able to use a disc.

What i thought to be my boot disc is stuck in driveand refuses to budge or start.

anybody else have any ideas please

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

To force the CD/DVD drive to open...take a straight pin (1-2 inches in length) and insert it in the pinhole on the face of the drive.  See http://video.about.com/pcsupport/Open-a-Stuck-Drive-on-Your-PC.htm .

Louis

#5 Headhurts

Headhurts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

Thank you. finally managed to get it out :)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

#7 Headhurts

Headhurts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

finally managed to get this computer up and running , once we got the stuck disc out we used our external drive to run it and get everything back :)

is there something that we can run to check if everything thing is stable?  Still not sure what made everything freeze/lockup in the first place.

many thanks for your time

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

You could always use the Dell diagnostic offerings, at least for hardware reassurance.

My approach to Windows is...if I don't detect a problem of any sort, then I don't have any :).   System instability and other problems tend to make themselves known...that's what error messages, BSODs, and other overt indications of system problems are about.

If it works as it should...there is no problem worth an investment of time/energy, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users