Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Update stored on wrong drive.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ts05

ts05

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

My computer has the operating software on drive C and data on drive D.

Somehow I have created (or Microsoft has created on my behalf) a folder on drive D called 9c5819f8ea90f2a681b357a90a.  It must have been Microsoft as I could not dream up a folder name like that.  I find that it contains Microsoft update ND40-KB2840628.

The update appers on my update history as successfuly installed in July 2013, and I have been attempting to delete the folder and its contents from drive D.

I tried deleting with administrator priveledge by following the instructions in 'How to enable and disable Administrator account through the Computer Management Console' on this site, but have not been sucessful. I rarely use Administrator access and maybe did not  got that right.?

Attempting deletion without Administrator access brings up a dialog box stating 'I need permission from SYSTEM for that action'.

I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed to clean out this unwanted folder.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

If the folder is present, my first thought is that the update did not install properly and that the installer may have been corrupted. However you state that the updates were successfully installed. And from what you have described you now have the update showing not only in your update history but the on the drive D as well.? ... strange.

I don't know how successful you will be but you could try removing to Recycle Bin if possible then do a reboot and see if there are any errors. If not then empty Recycle Bin.

With D drive your recovery drive those files should not have been messed with since they contain all you need to reload your hard drive. Do you have a set of recovery disks (just in case you ever need them in the future) or at least make an image of your hard drive to restore from if ever needed.

To get rid of the recovery files you can try file removers, but I would just delete the partition and create a new one from scratch (Disk Manager) and format it.

Just my thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users