Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Vaio laptop on switch stopped working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi

Old vaio laptop, PCG-Z505JE, Windows 98, stopped turning on this morning. I think probably a switch problem because battery tested at 100% in a similar computer.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this? Hopefully not too complex.

Or, if too hard to fix, is there some sort of workaround to get power to the computer?

Or, if all else fails, is there a way to extract my documents in Word 2000?

Thank you

Firetooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

Silly troubleshooting info. https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35540/c/65,66/

From what I can tell, the hard drive is a 2.5" IDE, so a generic USB/IDE/SATA adapter should work to pull your data.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

I have a Service Manual PDF for a PCG-Z505L series you are welcome to that might be of help.  PM email and I will shoot it over.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

thanks for all the suggestions dp.

I checked out the troubleshooting guide. while not exactly silly it is quite generic. For example, the ac adaptor for this computer does not have an led light. did see one thing to try--holding the on button for 5 seconds, then reconnecting everything. unfortunately without success.

Sent you a pm for the service manual pdf. 

Re the adapter--I am totally ignorant about this sort of thing. can I use this adapter in a computer that will not turn on or is dead in some other way? I had a couple of laptops in Windows 2000 die several years ago and took them to a professional for data extraction, which went fine. I called them yesterday and they were less sure they could do it for Windows 98. I'd love to be able to do it myself--it's an eighty mile drive to the repair shop and quite expensive.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

You have to pull out your current hard drive, hook it up to the adapter, plug the USB cable into another system and pull whatever data you need.  Its like having an enclosure or docking station that your current hard drive fits, but more flexible.

Really no difference in copying data from a FAT 16/32 WIN98 partition vs  NTFS.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thank you. I will let you know how the data extraction goes. Will also see if there is any hope for a repair to the switch, if that is indeed the problem.

I will keep you posted.

Firetooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users