Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM problems

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 vindy

vindy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hi everyone. I recently bought 4 sticks of new 1 Gig Nanya PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM clocked at 533MHz (2 x 266MHz) to put into my old HP Desktop PC as I think at least one of the two sticks of 1 Gig Samsung PC2-4300 DDR2 RAM 533MHz (2 x 266MHz) is starting to go bad because of occasional inexplicable errors with DLL files and Windows Explorer closing on me. I've performed every scan imaginable on my computer and can't find anything wrong so it must be the RAM in my old PC is starting to go bad. Anyhow, I tried installing the 4 sticks of new RAM in my machine yesterday. When I went to boot up it wouldn't do so and gave me a BIOS beep code. I didn't even have video. I tried taking out the new RAM one stick at a time and every time I tried booting up same deal; no video and BIOS beep code. So, I put the old Samsung RAM back in and called the company I bought it from. They told me if I mailed it back to them they would replace it with 4 sticks of 1 Gig Micron PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM. I asked them if they had any Samsung PC2-4300 identical to what I have in my computer right now and they said they didn't. From what I understand PC2-4200 and PC2-4300 are the same thing its just the number comes out to 4259 or something like that and some companies round up while others round down. So, I was wondering if anybody could tell me why the new RAM didn't work for me. I mean, what are the odds that all four sticks of the new RAM are bad? And from what I read on the internet Nanya is up there as one of the best manufacturers of RAM right along with Samsung and Micron. If anybody has any ideas what the problem might have been I'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

System Specs

-------------------

HP Paviliion a1630n Desktop PC

32-bit Windows XP Media Center with SP3

Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz

2 Gigs of Samsung PC2-4300 DDR2 RAM clocked at 533MHz (2 x 266MHz)

ASUSTek NODUSM3 version 1.05 motherboard with a front-side bus speed of 2.0 GT/s

(~ 6.4 GB/s) 

500GB Western Digital Harddrive 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I guess it would have been more helpful to you guys to give the bus speed of the motherboard in terms of Hertz. The front side bus speed on my Asustek mainboard is 199MHz.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

have you run memtest86+ to confirm it was the original ram?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

No, I didn't. I didn't know there was such a program like that. I'm not sure if I want to put those sticks of RAM back in my computer to confirm it is the right RAM. Too much of a hassle. Besides, how am I to run that program to test the new RAM if I can't boot my computer with them installed? 

#5 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Wait, are you referring to testing the old Samsung I have in there right now or testing the new RAM?

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

"what are the odds that all four sticks of the new RAM are bad" unlikely but possible

One of my friends ran into that situation about a year ago from a different company for 2 sticks of RAM

When I got to his house, I called that company. The specs matched up with what he was supposed to get

We had the company replace both, but I demanded they ship the new order from a different lot number and if that did not work, he gets a refund: problem solved

I don't know whether or not this will help you but I am sharing that experience

--- How did Nanya determine what sticks you needed?

--- Did they do a scan of your system to know what does in fact match with what you need?

--- If they do not do a scan of what you need, I'd consider another company

--- Specs are ok to work with, but a scan should verify exactly what you need

------ I just went to Sanya's website and I did not see a scan your comptuter feature

--- What does Sanya say as to why they don't work?

Now onto the RAM you are working with, wish you could get and what Nanya is willing to refill the order with

You received Nanya sticks, they are willing to replace them with Micron sticks but you want Samsung sticks

--- It looks like the choice here is Micron if you want to stay with Nanya

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

I would guess not all 4 sticks are bad, I would guess its something else. I would go ahead and put the original back in-because you could at least boot from there. And then download memtest89+ burn it to disc, and run the test for a few hours. If it shows up that your memory has errors, then that is indeed likely your problem, and your new memory is likely just incompatible. If the original sticks pass with flying colors, then your problem lies elsewhere.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

my 2 x 1 GB Corsair DDR PC3200 200 MHz installed fine on my legacy XP32 Machine with an Intel 915 MoBo, I was careful to handle them extra carefully and keep myself grounded. Mishandling those sensitive circuits can fry them like ....well, just keep yourself grounded when handling the sticks to avoid a static discharge.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

Hi cmptrgy. I was not dealing with Nanya. I bought the RAM from a company in Missouri called Memory Giants, and actually I was the one who determined what I needed using System Information for Windows (SIW). So, yes, I will be going with Micron. Hopefully I won't have any problems when those sticks come in. I have already done one pass with MemTest86+ patriot and it didn't find anything. I gonna fire it back up and let it run over night for at least 8 passes. Maybe it will find something wrong then. If it doesn't I might have to consider getting a new hard drive, as that could be the problem, or possibly reinstalling the OS. Thanks for all your help guys.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

my guess is, if they passed memtest that its likely incompatible ram (just because its DDR2 doesn't necessarily mean its compatible) I often prefer going to the motherboard manufacturer (or the company that made the computer) for a list of compatible memory, or crucial to check for compatibility.

You might also want to locate your specific hard drive here and download the diagnostic disc for it, and run that, to see if it comes up with any errors. After all, no sense in wasting money on a new hard drive unless you know for certain thats the issue-especially when you can check for free. :D

picard5.jpg

#11 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

Thank you so much for all your help Patriot. I will definitely take your advice, especially with downloading the diagnostic tool for my hard drive. Also, I have downloaded and will install BurnIn Test tomorrow to run checks on all the other hardware on my computer tomorrow, including the two AMD CPUs. I have Rizone File Checker and will run it tomorrow to check the integrity of Windows XP files. And as soon as I go to bed I am going to fire up MemTest86+ like I said and leave it running while I sleep and let it perform at least 8 passes on my memory. I'm hoping at least one of those system tests will show me what the problem is. If none of those tests find anything then I am at a loss. I should note however that the DLL errors and Windows Explorer closing on me doesn't happen all the time or constantly. It only happens every now and then, like maybe 2 or 3 times a week. But, again, thank you very much for all of your help.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

Patriot I like your troubleshooting procedures

vindy, I hope you can take care of the RAM issues and then follow up with the DLL errors & Windows Explorer if they persist

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

FWIW:  Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152 .

Louis

#14 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well, I let MemTest86+ run through 8 full passes while I slept and it didn't display a single error. So, my problem might not be the RAM. Also, running chkdsk /r didn't find much at all. The results of that scan is below.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is HP_PAVILION.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 3606 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 3606 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 3606 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

479106463 KB total disk space.
 175581824 KB in 351105 files.
    132092 KB in 30150 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    568391 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 302824156 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 119776615 total allocation units on disk.
  75706039 allocation units available on disk.

I don't think any of that is anything serious. Right now I have to get out and mow a big front yard. Oh what joy that is going to be. When I am done with that I will run all the other scans and tests I mentioned, as well as make use of the Hard Drive Diagnostic utility from Western Digital for my particular Hard Drive. Hopefully I will find something. I'll will get back to you guys later tonight and let you know how all of that went. Again, thanks for all your help. 

#15 vindy

vindy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Well, I downloaded the Hard Drive Diagnostic Utility for my hard drive from Western Digital and ran an extended test and it didn't find anything. I then ran Rizone's File Checker to check the integrity of my Windows system files. It did find 15 dll files that are messed up. Unfortunately when I bought this computer it did not come with a Windows XP Media Center Disc. Instead it had me create recovery discs the first time I turned it on. So, I went on eBay and found a never been used Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Disc up for auction. I put in a bid and hopefully I will win the bid. If I do I will have the disc within a week. Then I will be able to replace those messed up dll files with clean copies from the XP disc. I then downloaded Nirsoft's ShellExView and inspected all the shell extensions I have on my computer. Only one looked suspicious. It was a shell extension used by IE7, which I never use anymore, but I went ahead and disabled it anyway. I then downloaded a program that monitors your CPU temperatures and set it to immediately shut down the computer if either of the AMD CPUs reached 80 degrees celsius. I then installed BurnIn Test and ran tests on my CPUs at an 80 percent workload. It passed with flying colors. I then cranked it up to a 95 percent workload and again it passed with no errors. I now think that if the problem lies anywhere it is with those messed up windows dll files. If and when I get the Windows XP Media Center Disc I will be able to replace those dll files with clean copies. I am still going to install the 4 sticks of new Micron RAM when they come in, as I'm sure it will do my system a little good. Also, in a couple of months when I have the money I am going to buy a Seagate Harddrive and clone my current harddrive on to that and use it as the main volume. From what I hear Seagate harddrives are better quality and more reliable than Western Digital Harddrives. I guess I will then reformat the Western Digital drive I'm currently using and use it as the next volume in my Desktop PC. I can then backup stuff to that drive and use it for other things. Anyhow, when the XP disc comes in and I replace those dll files with clean copies I will get back to you guys and let you know how it went. Thank you all very much for all of your help and should I ever have any other problems with my machine I'll definitely come back here and post a topic. Again, THANKS!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users