Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SMART test reveals 16000 bad sectors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 crm5341

crm5341

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

I don't know much about hardware, I'm a software and programming junkie.

Anyway, I recently dropped my laptop while it was running and the screen froze. Hard power down and wouldn't boot into Windows again. I popped my Ubuntu CD in and grabbed the last few days worth of data from the hard drive with no trouble. Ran the disk utility and did a SMART test and found 16376 bad sectors. I don't know much of anything about bad sectors other than they can't be fixed and lead to "imminent disk failure". How long until this happens? Should I just go ahead and buy a new hard drive or is it safe to try to reinstall Windows and keep using this HDD? Thanks in advance.

Edited by crm5341, 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'm sure you'd just be making trouble for yourself by trying to continue using a drive in this condition. You don't want to have a system drive with reliability problems - I would strongly suggest to get a new drive and avoid headaches. Later you could play around with the damaged drive if you're interested, but there's no way to predict how long it will continue to operate successfully even if all the bad sectors are mapped out of use.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users