Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP32 sp2 Boot Drive running hot with S.M.A.R.T. disabled

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hey everyone,

Sony VGC-RB44 OEM

I noticed in SIW that my primary 250GB SATA -150 boot drive ( Maxtor  RPM N/A )   is running in the mid 50s C [attachment=140230:hdd_BC.JPG](131F) with its S.M.A.R.T., APM  disabled...   whereas my secondary drive (Seagate 1 TB 7200 rpm  SATA-300) is running @ cool 42 C  ( 107 F ) with its S.M.A.R.T. enabled. Anyone know how to take steps to avoid a meltdown? is it the disabled S.M.A.R.T.?  That is the only difference that I can see. Is the XP forum the right forum for this topic?

Other than that anomaly, the machine is running fine. I attached the image ( i think)

Thanks

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Advanced Power Management...is a feature on some hard drives....I don't believe it's abnormal for it to be disabled.

55 Celsius, IMO...is in the danger zone for a hard drive, based on my experiences.  Any drive I"ve ever had that went to that temperature wound up failing.  Anything less than 50 Celsius is not normally a concern.

I suggest running Data Lifeguard for Windows on the WD drive...and posting the results here.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

ok, i tried to paste up the screen grabs from the diagnostics but got an error. it was green checkmarks all the way though.  i have the 3 images. i just can't see the attach function in reply mode.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

I don't need to see the screen results.  The diagnositic is normally self-explanatory...at the end, there should be either a notation that the drive passed or the drive failed.

Louis

#5 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

I cleaned up and defragged the primary drive and it is running much cooler , right now it is around 40C, and secondary drive is at a cool 31C although i didn't do anything to it. 

I did shut down the system for a couple of hours before i powered it back up and the temperatures are remarkably cooler.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Nice work, it appears that you have nothing to be anxious about :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users