Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to contribute to Linux development but don't know where to start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

I've been using linux for some years now and I would really like to be part of the community that develops linux. I have a little background on programming (some PHP and very little C++). At the moment I'm trying to learn Bash Scripting. Can anybody here be my mentor or at least point me to the things that I need to learn to contribute to the development community? I am primarily interested in developing applications.

One more thing. I am not that type of person that reads tons of books just to understand a concept. I'm more into practical approach to learning. I prefer to code as soon as possible then understand how things work as a progress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

I also have github account. 

:idea:   :busy:  

Edited by cosmic_sniper05, 26 July 2013 - 12:28 PM.

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Have a look here; http://www.debian.org/devel/

Debian Organization

Debian has many access points, and many people are involved. This page explains who to contact about a specific aspect of Debian, and tells you who might respond.

The People

Debian is made collaboratively by many people spread around the world. Packaging work is usually contributed by both Debian Developers (DD) (which are full members of the Debian project) and by Debian Maintainers (DM). Here you can find both the list of Debian Developers and the list of Debian Maintainers, together with the packages they maintain.

You can also see the world map of Debian developers and image galleries from various Debian events.

Joining Debian

The Debian Project consists of volunteers, and we are generally looking for new developers who have some technical knowledge, an interest in free software, and some free time. You too can help Debian, just see the page linked above.

#3 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

thanks for that. do you think I should go right into learning a programming language (let's say Python) or should I study something else first such as Bash or system structures?

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users