I am new to this forum, and have joined to try to resolve this frustrating problem. I am operating a desk top pc, running Windows XP, connected by wire to my (new) 2 wire ATT supplied modem.
My internet connection is on for 20 seconds, and then off for 5 seconds. ( I know this by watching the "Net Work Connections" status, plus a little balloon keeps popping up to tell me.) This happens continuously.
Also connected to the same modem are:
1) Another desktop computer that does NOT experience this problem and
2) A wireless laptop that does NOT experience this problem.
To date I have tried the following:
1) Tried another wire connecting the computer to the modem - no help
2) Tried all the other modem output jacks - no help
3) Purchased another ethernet controller and disabled the original one - no help.
4) Spent an hour on the phone with the ATT tech - no problem discovered - didn't think there would be as the modem works just fine with other computers . That is the first thing I did.
5) Have reset, reconnected - turned computer and modem off and on more than once - no help
6) Have tried with firewall on and with it off,
7) currently have no virus protection program installed. Can't download one to check as this intermittent business prohibits that.
The modem is new as the prior one went gonzo after a lightening storm. Can'y exactly remember whether this problem started iimmediately with the new modem.
This intermittent operation results in continuous "try Again" messages, as well as making it impossible to send or receive any lengthy downloads etc.
Hope there is help for me. It must be some sort of software problem - or a virus?