Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

What would cause a computer to crash during a memtest scan?  the computer crashes randomly (soon after booting but randomly) when you boot it into windows or if I try to boot to the recovery console.  No matter what I do it crashes.  No reboot, just drops and sometimes the power lite will stay on and I cannot shut it off short of pulling the power cord.  Unfortunately I cannot give you much of any details on what it is because it has basically no labels on it and it is a thin client computer ( I think that is what they are called, those little PCs that can bolt on the back of the monitor).  It runs Win7 and the only label on it is ECOMANI.  Any ideas or thoughts would be great.  I am starting to suspect the RAM but not sure, was also suspecting the HD at first but when it crashed during the memtest that made me think maybe the RAM.   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

if it crashes during a memtest, then my number 1 guess would be memory-if it has more then one memory stick, try removing one, and running memtest again. run the memtest with each stick individually and each slot individually.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

It only has a single stick but does have two slots though I think we nailed down the problem.  I checked the power supply and it held steady for a while then when I touched the cord just a little the voltage jumped all over the place.  Mainly it fell sharply but it also spiked a little as well.  The main thought that was getting me was that it would not cut power like normal.  The computer would go black and all the fans would wind down but the power light would stay on and the only way to get it to start back up again was to pull the plug and wait a few.  thankfully we can get a replacement power supply for like $15 so we got one coming and will see if that fixes it.  One way or the other it does need a new power supply so even if it does end up being faulty memory we caught one thing before it became a major problem.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

glad you got it figured out though, I would highly encourage not going with a 15 dollar power supply, cheap power supplies fail often and can cause damage to other components.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users