Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Printer wired network setup fails

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 techgeek127

techgeek127

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm attempting to set up an HP2420 32 bit printer on my network with a cat5e cable. I have all WinXP pro PCs. I previously always attached this printer to a PC but I want this one on the LAN now. I googled the steps but still can't see the printer. Here's what I did...

--print an HP2420 configuration page with jet direct page IP address 10.34.204.4

--add printer wizard

--choose "local install" option and create a port.

--use the dropdown list for a TCP/IP port ,

--then use that IP address 10.34.204.4

--got to the manufacturer's list page choose "have disk" and browse to my driver.

--highlight one of the files there and click ok and follow through with the rest of the steps

That IP address doesn't look like my normal IPs. I had planned to use 192.168.2.113 before I read the google blog, but using 192.168.2.113 fails also.

And as always someone wants to use it yesterday. I'm self taught on systems since this is only part of my job, but I'm a good monkey if it's explained.

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Provide network settings:

• Go to start, start cmd ,then enter into the command prompt ipconfig/all
    • Note down the IP-address and the gateway address. Post into your next reply.
    • Go to your routers configuration panel (mostly the gateway address example: http://192.168.0.1)
    • Login into your router.
    • Check DHCP range.
  • Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

​List IP configuration

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#3 techgeek127

techgeek127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

Godfatherking: Thanks for the tips. My server guy stopped by yesterday. I was failing to find the printer because I bought it on ebay and the IP address was set for someone else's LAN. Got it figured out now. By the way I like that minitoolbox so I got something else from this I didn't expect. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users