Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Controller error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bsprout

bsprout

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

About a month ago my daughter's hard drive in her laptop died.  I tried plugging it into my computer and it was definitely bad.  I replaced it with a spare that I had and used the system restore dvds that we created when she got the computer.  I could not get it to load properly.  I can't remember exactly what happened but I do know that I finally connected the hard drive to my computer to look at what it was doing and the install was creating 2 partitions.  One was small(70-80Gb) and that is what it installed Windows on.  The other one was the rest of the hard drive(it's a 500Gb hard drive) and was unallocated.  I assumed that I couldn't get it to work because the partition it created was too small so I repartitioned the hard drive(keeping the installed OS).  That worked(although I may have had to run the repair disk to finally get it up and running).  Everything booted and appeared to work fine....for awhile.  It wouldn't boot up so I ran the repair disc to fix any corrupted files.  That worked for several weeks.  Yesterday the same thing happened.  It would go to boot up and even got to the Windows screen but would never come up.  I ran the repair again and it took a VERY long time to run but it's back up and running again.  I can't figure out what is causing it to do this.  Hardware? Software?     I went in to the Event viewer and there were 856 events and they all appear to be the same thing so I'm guessing this may be the culprit.  The error is "The driver detectected a controller error on \Device\Hardisk0\DR0" Event ID:11    Is there anyone that can give me a clue as to what the problem may be and how to keep this from happening?  She has all her programs loaded back on the computer and I would like to keep it if we can.  Side note:  I tried using another hard drive and I couldn't even get it to install Windows.  I don't know if there was a problem with the System Recovery disks or what.  This is an HP Pavilion Dv6 if that helps.  I'm guessing the problem stems from the fact that it didn't initially install correctly(with the strange partitioning) but I'm hoping there is a way to fix that.  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hi

Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Post the exact model number of your laptop.

DV6 is a series number and there are numerous models available in that series. You can find the exact model number on the bottom sticker.

For example : DV6-7206TX

:step2: Make sure the hard drive is seated properly.

Remove the drive from it's bay and refit it to make sure there are no loose connection.

:step3: A speccy snapshot of your system.

Generate a report about your system using Speccy by reading the guide below. Make sure to run the Speccy after running the system about one or more hour (if possible ). This will give us an indication of current CPU -GPU temperature status.

Post the web link displayed by Speccy in next reply.

:step4: A Minitoolbox log.

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
    -List installed programs
    -List devices
    -List users, partition and memory size
    -List minidumps

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply  (or upload the result.txt with dump files) 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 July 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#3 bsprout

bsprout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

The model number is 2155dx

Here is the speccy results

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/PkI1c7nF0KsLrr26tpXhbTe

Here are the results of the minitoolbox

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2938497/Result.txt

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi

Please follow the below steps and let me know your findings in next reply.

:step1:  Run a full surface scan on the hard drive

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 July 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#5 bsprout

bsprout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

I can't get it to boot to the cd.  On startup I hit esc and choose the option to boot from cd.  That didn't work.  I then went into bios and changed the boot sequence with cd/dvd player first and that didn't work either.  CD player is working and I got the iso burnt onto it fine.  I had this same problem initially when I was trying to load(reload) windows.  I would choose to boot from cd and it would just proceed as usual.  Any suggestions?   The first time I rebooted it ran through chkdsk and found nothing.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hi

Since you had difficulty installing Windows from the recovery DVD, my suspicion is a bad optical drive. It's reading eye might be weak. 

Use Imgburn to write the ISO to disc. If that also shows difficulty to boot, i would say you need to replace the  optical drive.

http://www.imgburn.com/?act=download

#7 bsprout

bsprout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm thinking there may be multiple issues going on here.  I was able to use that program to burn the CD.  Booted to the CD and it found quite a few problems and repaired them successfully.  It booted back up but was not real responsive.  I had to power it down and start it up in safe mode.  I decided to run Malwarebytes because I had noticed that AVAST was disabled and that's unusual.  Malwarebytes found 18 items.  Here is the log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2938497/MBAM-log-2013-07-27%20%2811-02-55%29.txt

I ran msconfig and disabled some things and booted it back to regular mode and it still was not real responsive.  Booted back up in safe mode and ran msconfig and disabled everything and that didn't help either.  Where do you think I should go from here?  Safe mode is working fine.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Booted to the CD and it found quite a few problems and repaired them successfully

It means there are bad sectors in your hard drive. Although Seatool said it fixed the bad sectors, your drive won't be reliable for data storage. Performance of the drive might also be compromised (this is from my personal experience ). I highly suggest replacing the drive with a perfectly fine one.

Malwares detected by MBAM is not serious threats. They belongs to the category potentially unwanted programs (PUP ). You can open a malware removal help request in the am i infected section of BC to make sure the system is clean from viruses.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Replacing the hard drive requires OS re-installation which essentially rule out the possibility of a malware infection, corrupted system files etc and that is what i suggest to do.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 27 July 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#9 bsprout

bsprout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

You were right.  It was the hard drive.  I had 3 spare hard drives and apparently 2 of them were bad.  Tried the 3rd one and everything is working fine.  Thanks for all your help!

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Glad to be able to help  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users