Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer screen totally blank - monitor fine!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shyjan

shyjan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

Compaq Presario SR2010NX  screen blank and  the monitor is fine when tested on other computers.

I turned on the computer and my screen is totally blank, with no connection error message. The pc sounds like it is running, lights are on,  the computer the fans are running light on monitor is amber not green. Checked all the cables, when I unplug the monitor from the pc the screen says check connection so I know the monitor is working and nothing is blown. Took cover off of tower and checked all connections, unplugged and re-plugged. 

I put in a new graphic card but it did not change anything. The new card did say it needed a PSU of 350 and mine is 300. It is a GeForce 8400 GS I did not see the PSU requirements until after I bought it, darn it! 

I have search the internet and found advice such as boot in safe mode, update drivers, but I cannot get anything on the screen so I cant do anything including booting to safe mode, or setup, to disable the ATI onboard graphics card.

I do have the exact same computer at a friends, but that one is upgraded to windows vista and this one is XP. I was wondering if I could switch hard drives to get to the configurations????

Thank you for any advice you can give me. Remember I cannot see anything on the screen, is it possible to troubleshoot?

Jan

Edited by shyjan, 26 July 2013 - 01:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

I will venture this is a hardware problem and messing with drivers or swapping out hard drives is a waste of time.  Anytime you get no video output during boot/BIOS screen, the OS isn't your immediate problem.  Any beep codes on boot?

I am thinking either power supply or motherboard as my first suspects.  First, look at all of your capacitors on the motherboard, especially near the CPU socket.  Look for bulged or leaking caps.  I don't see any solid caps on that board, so that is where I look first.  Any diagnostic LEDs on your power supply? Some OEM PSUs (cough <BESTEC> cough) have an LED that blinks when the PSU has died, and possibly taken your motherboard along with it.  If nothing stands out, clear CMOS, reset to defaults.

That board has an NVidia chipset, so that is a consideration as well.  Even if you have no beep codes, you might try pulling out 1 stick of RAM at a time and trying to boot just in case the RAM decided to die on you.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

No beep codes on boot, and caps look goodNo LEDs on PSU but I did notice that the light by the front smart media /xD stays on with a steady light.

I took out one stick of RAM and cleared the Cmos, then did it again. The PSU fan is going and there is a steady green light in the back of it on. I did this with out pugging in the new card.

Thanks for your help. So the only thing I noticed is that the light by the sd cards in a steady green and there is nothing in any of the 4 readers!

thanks again

Jan

#4 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Just to follow through with the unplugging things, I took out both memory sticks and I got no beeping code, and I then unplugged the hard drive and tried again. No beeping code at all. It was like the mother board wasnt getting any signal at all.

#5 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

I guess it is the motherboard, although I did notice the card I bought requires a bigger battery...would the battery do something like this.

Is it worthe a last try?

Jan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users