Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7, after icon clicked- CMD.exe screen pops up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shotgnz

shotgnz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Hi everyone,

After I enter my password on the main windows 7 screen ( Icon) the system goes black and shows the cmd.exe file window.  In that window it states C:\Windows\system32>          The other icon works fine, its just this one that gives me issues.  Anyone know how to fix this?

System recovery did not work, restore did not work and windows repair did not work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hi shotgunz -

Has anyone ever programmed the computer to go to the Command Prompt window on opening ?

Often it can be set to this to run say ~ sfc /scannow ~ or scancheck, or another program at Start up -

Thank You -

#3 shotgnz

shotgnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hi,

No, no one has programed the PC.  Any suggestions on how to check  or see if what you mentioned can be shut off?

Thx

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Have you recently had any virus issues?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/when-i-logon-to-windows-it-goes-straight-to-the/ae2aea11-55bd-45ff-8212-3042746eb3a8

At the command prompt, have you tried typing explorer.exe?

#5 shotgnz

shotgnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi, yes,

if I type in explorer.exe my old desktop shows up perfectly.   Looking for ways to correct this so I do not need to do that.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

That's good, at least we know explorer.exe isn't corrupt. You didn't answer the question about viruses, however. Have you removed any from your PC recently? If so, you may have inadvertently removed some key system files, or they were damaged by malware. If that is the case, you'll probably need to run sfc /scannow from the command prompt.

If that's not the case, after some research, I believe you'll need to edit a particular registry key.

Open the registry, go to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Find the string value called Shell. The value should be explorer.exe. If the value is cmd.exe, you'll want to change it to explorer.exe.

#7 shotgnz

shotgnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hi,

I did have the FBI virus and removed it using the Nortons power eraser.   Once I powered back up after a day or two, I encountered this issue.  I will try your approach, I figured its probably a file missing bacuase like I mentioned I can get into the desktop and access my files.    After I get everything up an running I plan on moing my Itunes library and find out why my PC always sounds like it processing info.  I will let you know.

Thx, G

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Is the following an accurate summary of the steps you took?

Symantec, Removing FBI Moneypak Virus

Louis

#9 shotgnz

shotgnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi Louis,

#10 shotgnz

shotgnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hi Louis,

Yes, that is the process I followed.  I was online with the Norton rep any they appear to have walked thru that whole process. 

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,407 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Check your startup items, using Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml .

If there is an item reflected for cmd.exe...please uncheck it.

Louis

#12 shotgnz

shotgnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hi All,

Ok, The Startup control panel did not have the command in the file.   And the registry, go to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Find the string value called Shell. The value should be explorer.exe. If the value is cmd.exe, you'll want to change it to explorer.exe is already as explorer.exe .

Anything else?  I hate to do this but should I reinstall Windows?  Will WIndows just fix or will it clear the HD?

Thx, G

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,407 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

I've made my best guess...and have drawn a blank.  The others here may have a clue.

Louis

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

At this point, your best option is the sfc /scannow command. If that doesn't repair it, you may have to do a reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users