Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with .net framework

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 photomd

photomd

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

I have an old Dell running windows XP Professional. I've had problems with a .net framework error for months, but have ignored it. I now want to use a program that needs it so I tried, unsuccessfully, to update it. I have managed to completely delete it, and up load .net framework to 1.1. I'm not sure how to update it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

Help and support for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1. Links to troubleshooting
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

@ quietman7. I don't see any avenues of support for end users at that link.

@ photomd. Are you sure the program you are trying to run is dependent on .NET 1.1 and not some other version?
What is the name and website of the program?

Edited by .X., 25 July 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

I seem to agree with .X.

Most problems are with .NET Framework 3.5 that is required for many "newer" programs.

Is this a Windows Update problem, or related to something else ?

Thank You -

#5 photomd

photomd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

I was having problems with an error message at startup that said .net framework failed to initialize. I've had that problem for about 8-10 months, but ignored it: everything worked OK. That was 4.0. 

Then I wanted to use Garmin Basecamp. I loaded it about a week ago. Basecamp needs .Net Framework 3.5 or later to work. It wouldn't open, and after some research I decided I was having problems with .net Framework. I looked around the internet and I tried several things. I deleted framework, reloaded it, nothing seeming to work. I stumbled on a this a thread here that suggested a fix, if that didn't work, then deleting .net framework, loading 1.1 and doing updates. I followed the links but only got 1.1 to load. 

So now I'm trying to figure out how to get .net framework to update. Thanks. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

The link I provided includes links to direct downloads vice using Windows Update. It also includes a link to a dedicated forum run by the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) where most questions are answered in 24 hours or less. Answers are provided by those who specialized in .Net Framework software and related issues.

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

That forum is for .NET Framework developers. It is not intended for end users. answers.microsoft.com is for end users.

"includes links to direct downloads vice using Windows Update"
I see a link for Download .NET Framework 4.5 Now Download the RTM version of .NET Framework 4.5. Not any others. That link takes you to .NET Downloads, Developer Resources & Case Studies | Microsoft .NET Framework. Which shows...

Edited by .X., 26 July 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Yes that forum is primarily for .NET Framework developers but it is not restricted. I had an issue with installing the .NET software several years ago and went there for assistance. They were more than glad to help. Microsoft Community (formerly Microsoft Answers), where I also work, is another avenue but their knowledge/support with .NET Framework is limited - as is mine- and referrals are made to MSDN in many cases when no one can find the proper solution. It's better to ask an expert if they are willing to provide assistance.

I noted the download link for .NET Framework 4.5 for a reason...actually I thought it was 4.0 as the top portion of the article said support for 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.0 and 1.1. However, I could have been more clear about that reason.

Although .NET Framework versions can be installed in any order, Aaron Stebner recommends to install .NET Framework in reverse order from the most current to the oldest. He advises this is because the most current version includes the the latest updates of files shared by all versions so that helps to eliminate some bugs and installation issues.

Aaron works for Microsoft, answers questions at the MSDN forums and writes about .NET Framework issues on his Blog. A couple years ago, Aaron wrote Should I re-install the versions of the .NET Framework in a specific order?

Since I trust Aaron's judgement and since photomd is having issues with installing .NET Framework 1.1, I was inclined to go with his recommendation. If installation was successfully for .NET Framework 4, then photomd could install the next version, and so on.

.NET Framework 4 download link

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Microsoft Community (formerly Microsoft Answers), where I also work, is another avenue but their knowledge/support with .NET Framework is limited - as is mine- and referrals are made to MSDN in many cases when no one can find the proper solution.

Work? I also answer questions there and since becoming active again in the XP section during the last 2 weeks, I have helped fix the overwhelming majority of .NET update problems.

Although .NET Framework versions can be installed in any order, Aaron Stebner recommends to install .NET Framework in reverse order

I'm familiar with his blog.

That blog post is somewhat dated.  Regarding order, it list 2 bugs total as affecting XP SP2 not SP3..

My only take on order is that I wouldn't install 2.0 separately and then install 3.5 since 3.5 includes 2.0 but that's about it IMO.

Edited by .X., 26 July 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Aaron's blog posting may be a couple years old, but photomd is using an even older OS so it is still applicable. As I said, I trust Aaron as the expert with this software and that is the recommendation I am making for photomd to follow.

#11 photomd

photomd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks y'all. I followed Bleepin Janitor's link to Aaron's site and downloaded the .net framework uploads as suggested. The error is gone. Thanks again. 

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thank you for letting us know all went well. You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

:thumbup2: photomd

For others reading this topic and experiencing a similar issue, all .NET Framework versions are available for download separately from Microsoft's download center. If a version is not listed, simply type the version name in the Search box at the top.

#14 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thanks y'all. I followed Bleepin Janitor's link to Aaron's site and downloaded the .net framework uploads as suggested. The error is gone. Thanks again.

Been meaning to ask you photomd, what exactly did you do to fix it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users