Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Desktop starts sporadically....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brettjameslive

brettjameslive

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi all,

Try this for a first effort... I have an Acer desktop that I am attempting to diagnose.  It will just switch off randomly, IF I can get it to start at all.

It has a SATA HDD, SATA DVD drive, 2 GB RAM (2x1GB DDR2) and some sort of Pentium CPU.  At times, it will boot, tell me that Windows (Vista - yuck) failed to start correctly, and needs to be repaired.  I haven't yet managed to stop it and boot to a DVD at this time... At times, when it DOES boot it will sit just waiting for me to log into the repair console - WITHOUT shutting down.  Most other times, I will switch it on, the fans will start up, then keyboard will light up, and the fans will then go off, alas, the machine has powered down.  I can't get it to the point to run UBCD over it to test the hardware.

I have replaced the PSU with a new one, same problem.

I have unplugged the HDD, same problem.

I have replaced the RAM, same problem.

I have unplugged the DVD drive, same problem.

Am I right in assuming that this is a CPU/MB issue?  Anyone else seen these symptoms?

Any insights greatly appreciated.  Frustrating as I can usually diagnose these, but I can't even run a CD/DVD!!!

Many thanks

B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

Have you cleared the CMOS? Is the BIOS up to date? Are all of the setable parameters correct? Might even try a new CMOS battery.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 brettjameslive

brettjameslive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hey Dick E, 

Thanks for your reply.  To be honest, I hadn't tried this, however I have now!  I reset the CMOS using the jumper settings on the MB, then, to be safe, I removed the CMOS battery today while I attended a wedding (I'm not able to access the BIOS as the machine doesn't even stay on long enough for that!). When I got back, I re-inserted the battery, and tried to power the machine on, but alas, the same result!  Powers up, fans on, keyboard, all 3 lights light up, powers off.

:(

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Pull off the power switch connector from motherboard, manually short the pins (momentary only)............any change?

No change, then sounds like a motherboard.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 brettjameslive

brettjameslive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Tried pulling power and shorting power for a mo, no change :(  Looks like MB.  I know I could get the data from the drive in another machine/in a caddy, but customer isn't interested.  Weird.  Anyway, I guess I'll advise on MB/CPU (which really isn't worth it!)...

Thanks for the help (unless anyone has a miraculous cure?  :tophat:

B

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Have you tried cleaning and reapplying thermal paste for the processor? Alternately use one RAM stick also and if possible remove the drive and use only the bare essentials (monitor, RAM module) to troubleshoot further. A newer power supply does not mean its guaranteed not part of the issue since it was introduced with still the same results. Swapping them with the old PSU if the above steps produces no improvement would also be an option.

Tekken

#7 brettjameslive

brettjameslive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hey there,

I tried swapping the RAM around, also using only 1 stick, but no joy.  I kept the client fully informed along the way, and he decided that it was too much bother, so instructed me to go no further, so I'll never know whether reapplying the thermal paste would have helped.  I will make sure I try this next time however!

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

The processor/heatsink was the only thing that is left untouched in your case. :) Unless there are faulty capacitors which could mean its a board problem as already suggested.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users