Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

68pin SCSI testing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bexeleng

bexeleng

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hello,
I work with broadcast video servers. Within these servers is a 5 disk array configured RAID 3. The disks within the array are usually Maxtor 3.5 300Gb Ultra320 SCSI but some of them are Seagate or Fuji drives.
These machines are going on 6 or 7 years old now and the drives have started to fail. They usually just disconnect and the machine gives an error message. I need to find out exactly why these drives are failing. Vendor support just wants us to purchase new drives...which we do but my bosses want to know the cause of failure.

I purchased a 4bay SCSI enclosure and an Adaptec 2130SLP raid controller card and put it in a box running Windows XP SP3. I figured I could buy some diagnostic software and test the drives. 

I researched diagnostic software and came up with-

HDDScan
SeaTools
ActiveSmart for SCSI

None of these are giving me the information on the drives I need. These drives are to old for the S.M.A.R.T testing. I get maybe a temp reading or a 'Pass' or 'Fail' reading. No details.
Does anyone have a process to test these drives and get decent readings?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

SCSIMax?  SeaTools? 

Pre S.M.A.R.T= just not sure.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

How's about you just report that you have run the drive manufacturer's state of the art diagnostics, report the results however limited and inconclusive, and call it good. You might also suggest that since the hardware is pretty old, it's more failure prone than new hardware, and since aging hardware is inherently prone to failure, the specific causes are difficult to diagnose. Give them the best info you have, explain it to the best of you ability and go with that.

Edited by slgrieb, 25 July 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

Hi

RAID won't support SMART commands. You need to connect each hard disk individually on normal SATA ports to read SMART values. But if your intention is to check the full surface for bad sectors, there are tools available which can do the surface scan under RAID. HDTunepro is one of them. There is a 15 day trial version available.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users