Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer old HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi,

My existing computer motherboard is on it's last legs so I've ordered a new computer and intend to install my existing hdd. I've just realised that my Windows 7 might not work. It's not a new install as the whole HDD including all systems etc is being put into the new computer.

Will windows still work?

regards,

dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Almost certainly not. You'll probably need to do a clean install. Alternatively, Acronis True Image has a feature in it's "Plus Pack" that is supposed to allow you to clone a hd to a completely different system and still have it boot (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/?adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&matchtype=p&gclid=CJmQ89nWy7gCFUii4AodfAkApA#add-migration)

#3 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Probably not. Once of the first things the Windows installation routine does is take inventory of all of the hardware in your computer and then setup Windows to run on that hardware. If you then change the hardware, especially the motherboard, Windows is usually going to have a problem. A repair install might be able to get it working but, the best approach is to reinstall Windows.

You can attach your old hard drive to the new computer and then drag & drop your files from the old to the new with Windows Explorer.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 25 July 2013 - 05:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users