Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High internal temperature

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KleineTeum

KleineTeum

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi,

I have a problem with my laptop. Whenever I am using my laptop the temperatures inside rise fast and the keyboard gets way to warm.

I installed the program speccy to read the temperatures. And when I am just sitting in my desktop and not using any programs the temperature of the processor is 75°C the temperature of the motherboard is 75°C and the temperature of the harddrive is 55°C. When I'm using my laptop with different programs the temperature will rise even more and if I am not using my cooling pad these will rise untill 110°C and then my laptop shuts himself down.

I opened my laptop form the underside to see if perhaps to many dust inside might be the problem but after I did that the problem still occured.

Thanks for helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

A laptop will have higher temps than a desktop...due to the lack of space and cooling mechanisms which are inherent in having a laptop.

But...how high ti too high...can best be answered by checking the data for the processor, which is available (for many CPUs) at www.cpu-worlld.com. .

Once you know the temperature operating range or max temp for a given CPU...it's easy to make the call on possible overheating.

Louis

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

More to the point, if the laptop seems to be stable and you aren't experiencing blue screens, and frequent program locks or system crashes, why worry? Don't be a computer hypochondriac.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 KleineTeum

KleineTeum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

I posted because I thought something was wrong with my laptop. Without a cooling pad he shuts himself down after 30 minutes because he is overheating and this happens when im just browsing the internet or something like that. With a cooling pad he doesn't do that but the keyboard is still very hot on one side which makes it very annoying to type.

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

More to the point, if the laptop seems to be stable and you aren't experiencing blue screens, and frequent program locks or system crashes, why worry? Don't be a computer hypochondriac.

OK, as written, that was a pretty stupid response on my part. What I really meant to say is that if the laptop is OK with the cooling pad, I wouldn't get too stressed. Sorry I wasn't clear. Must have been a Senior Moment.

Still, if you are sure the cooling ducts are clean, then the two most likely causes of overheating would be degraded thermal interface material between the heatsink fan unit and the CPU, or a bad fan. If you really can't live with the notebook cooler as a full time accessory, I'd start by disassembling the laptop and replacing the thermal compound on the CPU heatsink, and then replace the fan assembly if Plan A doesn't work.

Most major brands of laptops have service manuals online, and there isn't any laptop repair you can't do yourself if you are sufficiently careful, and have either experience or clear instructions. These days, eBay is often your best source for parts. HP/Compaq has excellent service manuals available at their support sites, Dell has OK manuals, and irisvista.com is a great site for guides and tutorials for Toshiba laptops.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hi,

I have a problem with my laptop.

What make/model is said laptop?

Edit: Temps are high 4 a laptop IMO. Got screwdivers?

Edited by bludgard, 25 July 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Don't be a computer hypochondriac.

That's exactly what led most of us here...?

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Geez, I already admitted I stuck my foot in my mouth. Please don't beat me up no more. I've got a wife to do that as needed. The point I wanted to make was that sometimes, a Bandaid fix is good enough, while a serious fix may be more effort and expense than it's worth. Actually, I think what got most of us here is a degree of expertise, a desire to help, and a lot of ego. :wink: All these folks with problems are just grist for the mill.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2013 - 01:15 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

WIFFLEBALL!

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

That would be me.... LOLz.

ego. ...

BTW: I did not notice foot-in-mouth. But then again; I got fog around....

Balls, screwdriver and thermal compound will see OP through.

If the machine is 2 or more years old, take apart fan assembly (small screwer) and clean "unseen" dust/grime w/Windex and warm water > reasseble (dry).

Do not forget new thermal compound on CPU and make sure the integrated graphics chip is in contact with heatsink.

Run Prime95 after successful boot....

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2013 - 01:14 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

Mod Edit:  Removed unnecessary quote, please...use the quote button when necessary.  It's not necessary when there are only two persons posting in a ghven topic, IMO - Hamluis.

And I would call that a pretty concise and accurate diagnosis.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2013 - 01:14 PM.

WIFFLEBALL!

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Came out of the fog and saw foot-in-mouth. Guess it was unnecessary to repeat what had been posted. My bad; hypotechnifreakincondriphobe that I am....

Thanks for cleaning up, Hamluis.

Edited by bludgard, 26 July 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

how i wound up here at BC was Googling a blown desktop 300w Bestec power supply back in 2009. then a blown graphics card, then a blown audio driver.  it went on and on. Then one day a topic came up that i knew things about and i contributed.  The search function is quite underused.

Anyway, back to the topic. An overheating laptop is quite common. the most common culprit is sticky dust being blown into the heatsink, then sticking to it and clogging air flow across it. a clogged heatsink  can be countered though.. and the one thing that is always valid about this common problem is people smoking around their laptops, that is what makes the dust sticky in the first place.

A great countermeasure to this is adhering air filter material over the intake vents that your fans are sucking air in through. you know, tape the stuff to the underside panel. this getup keeps that sticky dust where it belongs, OUTSIDE of the UNIT.    Same can be done with desktops also, although it isn't very aesthetic.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users