Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot into Windows 7. Hardware or software?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 crm5341

crm5341

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

The background:

I had just installed a plug-in for Eclipse (java development software) and was testing the web application server on my localhost.

I was sitting on the couch and put my laptop down about an inch from the floor
Came back a few minutes later and screen was locked up. No response from keys or mouse, Ctrl+Alt+Delete useless.

Did a hard reboot with the power button.

Began cycle of "Windows didn't start successfully" screen, choosing repair and getting stuck at Windows 7 welcome screen with cursor (no login box) and no way out other than hard reboot. At one point, attempted a wait at this screen for over an hour with no change.

What I've tried:

Attempted to boot to safe mode and last known good configuration and went through same cycle (loading files, black screen for a few minutes, stuck at welcome screen with no response)

Stuck Windows 7 64-bit system repair disk in. Was able to boot to cd and got prompt to select input language then back to windows 7 welcome screen and cursor for indefinite amount of time.
Able to boot to Ubuntu CD and access both C: (windows os + programs) and D: (data) drives. Transferred this weeks stuff to external hard drive so no data loss, thank you God and Linux developers.

What's next?

A system restore? A program to scan the hard drive for errors?
Why does Ubuntu have no problem accessing the drives but Windows will not boot? Problem with a system file?

Sorry if I've missed anything important. New to posting here!

Edited by crm5341, 25 July 2013 - 12:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Well, at least your data is safe !

You don't say what make(s) of hard drives you have but both Seagate and WD (and I imagine any other manufacturers) have software programs which can be downloaded from their web-sites for testing hard drives. It is probably worth your while to do this, it at least eliminates a hard drive problem.

Assuming your hard drives check out OK, then I think you are going to have to do a re-install of Windows since 'Repair' isn't working for you. You say you used a system repair disc. If this is in fact the install disc, I would use it to do a re-install. If it is purely a repair disc, then, so long as you have the original authentication code, you can use any 64 bit install disc to do the install.

As for your last question 'Why does Ubuntu have no problem ...',  I have no idea - except that I have used Linux Puppy myself in much the same circumstances !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users