Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports Stop Working When I Plug A Device In...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Smiric

Smiric

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hey everyone =)

First off, I'm not entirely sure if this is the right section of the forum so if I have got it wrong apologies in advance!

Basically I have been having some problems with my new computer concerning the USB ports. 

The problem I have is that SOMETIMES when I plug a USB device in, or mount a virtual drive, it disables ALL of the ports both on the front and back (I have 4 on the front and 2 on the back) and then I have to enact out the following process to get them to work.

1. Turn off the computer by holding the power button.
2. Turn it off at the back and wait for a few seconds. (By back I don't mean the wall - there's a switch on the back of the computer as well as the usual on switch on the front)
3. Turn it back on at the back.
4. Press power.
5. As it's turning back hold power button again to turn off.
6. Press power and let it turn on.

After all that it SOMETIMES works and if it doesn't I have to repeat the process until it does!... which as you can imagine is very annoying!

What is also odd is that when I plug a device in and it doesn't disable the ports, if I keep moving my USB mouse around it will briefly stop, then start, then stop, then start again (basically stops twice before working - as if it is struggling with something).

The USB speed is also very slow when transferring data and has occasionally come up with a message on start-up saying something to the effect of 'why don't you try plugging your device into a high speed usb 2.0 port' (even though it is a 2.0!)

Here are some of my specs: (If you need anymore just let me know)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07ghz

Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in device manager it has:

Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A

Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C

Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A34

Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A35

Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A36

Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A37

Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A38

Intel® ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A39

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

USB Composite Device

USB Composite Device

USB Root Hub

​USB Root Hub

​USB Root Hub

​USB Root Hub

​USB Root Hub

​USB Root Hub

​USB Root Hub

Is that amount of USB drivers normal btw? Because as I said I have 2 USB slots on the back and 4 on the front - which seems a lot less than what is displayed in device manager.

All drivers are up to date according to device manager.Although sometimes the top family USB has a yellow exclamation mark but if I try and update the driver it says it's up to date.

If anyone can help with this problems it will be very much appreciated, as this is a very frustrating problem!

Kind Regards,

Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dell-Jesse L

Dell-Jesse L

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hello Smiric

You may want to manually reinstall the chipset drivers back into the system to see if that will resolve the issue. Usually, this resolves these type of problems. The 2 USB ports on this motherboard are 3.0 so, even if the device is USB 2,0 that you are using it should work.

Thank You,

Dell-Jesse L

Dell Social Media and Communities

Edited by Dell-Jesse L, 25 July 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#3 Smiric

Smiric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thankyou for the quick response Jesse - I'm not entirely computer literate, and by not entirely I mean I'm pretty bad when it comes to computers! How would I go about reinstalling the chipset drivers?

#4 Smiric

Smiric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'm guessing uninstalling the chipset drivers can be done from the device manager? I'm just waiting on trying to find a non-USB 2.0 mouse so that I can do this.

Also another problem that has just started happening today (or should I say the same problem but in a different manner) the USB ports all stopped working without me plugging anything in or mounting a virtual drive, seemingly randomly. This is even worse because if it happens then I have to turn my computer off, almost rendering my computer useless as it could happen at any moment (I'm hoping it won't happen whilst I am typing this!).

Currently I have a 4 port USB hub connected into one of the USB slots on the back of my computer and my mouse/headphones are connected into this hub. The other USB slot on the back of my computer is for my keyboard and I am not using any of the front USB ports. I thought using the USB hub would possibly bypass the problem but it hasn't.

I will post again once I have found a mouse to be able to uninstall the drivers as hopefully this will fix all these annoying problems. Attached is a screenshot of the message that pops up on windows start-up.

Attached Files

#5 Smiric

Smiric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hey guys, I got myself a PS/2 mouse and uninstalled all of the USB drivers via the device manager but I've still got the same problem. I also noticed that it's not just when I plug in USB's ... I put my computer into sleep mode last night and when I turned it on the USB slots weren't working (and the wireless internet also stopped working, although I don't know if this is related at all). I restarted the computer without turning it off at the back and they worked this time but normally I have to go through the process stated in my first post.

#6 Smiric

Smiric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Every time that my computer has gone to sleep the USB's haven't worked when I turn it back on and I have to restart. This is quite a problem as I do use lots of USB devices and frequently put my computer to sleep. =(

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

chipset drivers for your machine here

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#dl

#8 Smiric

Smiric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

Thankyou for the link, I tried reinstalling the chipset driver and the USB 3. driver and the problem still persists. When I plug-in my USB stick it comes up with the message 'this device could work better if connected to a high speed 2.0 port' and then all the USB ports stop working.

#9 Smiric

Smiric
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:33 AM

Just tried the USB 3.0 slots (2 on the back of my computer) with a USB 2.0 Hub and it's working fine... even though the four USB 2.0's on the front and 2 2.0s on the back are totally dead. =/

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Glad that we are getting somewhere anyway.

Unplug your usb devices then completely remove the usb drivers then restart the machine (just delete the devices out of the device manager). Windows will re-install them on restart.

This should do it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users