Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have No Internet Service though my Provider says I do

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aprille999

Aprille999

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

After a storm a couple of days ago, we lost all internet service. I contacted my ISP (over and over...) and have been told that their remote checks reveal that we ARE geting service.

All the lights on the cable modem are on. The operator was able to 'refresh' it remotely.

We have tried connecting two different laptops directly to the modem (bypassing the WIFI) with an ethernet cable, and neither was able to access the internet. We have tried with 5 wireless devices (after reconnecting the wireless router) and cannot access the internet; however, the wireless network DOES show up.

A windows 8 diagnostic indicated that the computer was getting no IP address.

The ISP is adamant that this is OUR problem. I will be happy to provide more details, but I am not a techie and don't know where to start. Can anyone please help?? My thought is that the modem is not working properly...

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Sure does sound like a modem problem. 

Have you tried a long power cycle (unplug the modem for 30 minutes, then plug it back in) or a hard reset (see the modem manual)?  Do you own the modem or is it provided by the ISP?  If the ISP owns the modem, then insist they replace it. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

If your ISP is treating you badly, I suggest you escalate the complaint. Chances are pretty good the storm affected their equipment and they can't detect everything from the office. Some things like outside connections need to be checked manually by a service technician. Don't take any crap from them. And if it turns out the modem has gone bad and you rent it from them, it is their problem.

#4 Aprille999

Aprille999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have tried the long power cycle (multiple times...the isp keeps telling me to do the same stuff over and over.) They also told me to do a hard reset, but I cant find the tiny little hole to put the paper clip in on the Motorola Surfboard. This is leased from the ISP, who left NO modem manual. Looking online, I could not find any way to reset other than the long power cycle.

I did try putting http://192.168.100.1 into a web browser with the laptop connected directly back to the modem via an ethernet cable and it was unable to connect (timed out).

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

What model is your Motorola Surfboard?

Is it an emta device which is used for phone service? If it is, then there will be a small hole on the back of the modem which is used for a reset. If it is not a telephony modem, there will be no reset on the back of it.

You mentioned a power cycle of the modem. Did you also power cycle your router? If not try this:

Turn off your computers/devices. Unplug the modem power cord from the wall outlet or from the back of the modem. Do the same for your router. Wait about 30 seconds then reconnect the modem. When the lights are all on, reconnect your router. After all the lights are back up on it turn on your computer. See if you can connect to the internet.

Who is your ISP?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 July 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#6 Aprille999

Aprille999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

I dont know the model and am not at home to look, but it does not have any phone service usage, nor does it have the small hole.  We did also power cycle the router, in just the fashion that you recommended (except that we left it more like 30 MINUTES the last time we tried it - maynbe longer.)

Our ISP is Comcast. :(  I wish, oh how I wish, there were a better alternative.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

If you do not have Comcast phone service you most likely have a regular modem which does not have the reset hole on the back.

The only thing I can suggest is that you post in the Comcast help forum. The connection experts there may be able to help you.

Here is my canned speech about that forum.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.

Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

#8 Aprille999

Aprille999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Thanks, y'all. Replaced the modem, called Comcast's activation service, and VOILA! We are back in business. They only told me for two DAYS that it could not POSSIBLY be the modem :)

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'm glad you got it sorted out. Call and ask for a credit for the time you did not have internet.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thanks, y'all. Replaced the modem, called Comcast's activation service, and VOILA! We are back in business. They only told me for two DAYS that it could not POSSIBLY be the modem :)

FYI, they can't check from the office if the modem has gone bad. It must be checked manually by a technician. So they lied to you for two days. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users