Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

When I was young and my brain was still in the process of development, everybody used to state the immortal  rule that "You must get 8 hours sleep every night". Where this astounding piece of advice came from, I do not know, but as life went on I discovered that this mysterious potion for healthy survival was meaningless. Nobody turned into a frog if they got less than 8 hours sleep or developed huge dark bags under their eyes and their lifespan was no better than anybody elses.

The amount of sleep needed depends entirely on the individual. Some people need the magic 8 hours, others can survive healthily on 4-6 hours. Many of histories greatest names only had around 6 hours sleep every night or less.

I myself only need 6 hours of sleep and often less, with no adverse effects at all.

Perhaps the advocates of the magic 8 hours doctrine will consider that by encouraging an 8 hour induced coma, they are cutting out 30 years of life from a possible 90 years. One third of their life in a coma ! The day will come to every one of us when sleep will be infinite, so why limit ourselves to a maximum of 60 years active life when alive ?

Your own thoughts are of course welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Those 30 years they "loose you" are only possible if you never sleep at all... I doubt that anybody can manage to stay awake for 90 years, no matter how little sleep he needs.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

By no means definitive. Just additional information to consider. How Much Sleep Do We Really Need? TL;DR? Scroll down for the age chart.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Those 30 years they "loose you" are only possible if you never sleep at all... I doubt that anybody can manage to stay awake for 90 years, no matter how little sleep he needs.

regards
myrti

OK, of course the 30 years is an arithmetic maximum. But 20 years of coma and an extra 10 years of life is a fair compromise. A decade is well worth having.

Just looked at the chart. WOW ! I reckon the author was the guy who planted that old wives tale of a mandatory 8 hours sleep in my ancestors minds.

Like I said, many great people in history had very little sleep and achieved miracles. Guess they never had access to the chart.

What we do not realise is that the difference between being a young mature fit adult and an aging old man is a mere 30 years and 99% of all new  born babies today will  be dead in  a short 100 years time. Not long really.

Parting shot :-

The  ancient myth = You need eight hours of sleep per night.
That’s the cliche we are all told and many believe.  Napoleon, for one, didn't believe it at all. His prescription for sleep went something like this: “Six hours for a man, seven for a woman and eight for a fool.”

Edited by yabbadoo, 25 July 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#5 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

regards
myrti

OK, of course the 30 years is an arithmetic maximum. But 20 years of coma and an extra 10 years of life is a fair compromise. A decade is well worth having.

Just looked at the chart. WOW ! I reckon the author was the guy who planted that old wives tale of a mandatory 8 hours sleep in my ancestors minds.

Like I said, many great people in history had very little sleep and achieved miracles. Guess they never had access to the chart.

What we do not realise is that the difference between being a young mature fit adult and an aging old man is a mere 30 years and 99% of all new  born babies today will  be dead in  a short 100 years time. Not long really.

Parting shot :-

The  ancient myth = You need eight hours of sleep per night.
That’s the cliche we are all told and many believe.  Napoleon, for one, didn't believe it at all. His prescription for sleep went something like this: “Six hours for a man, seven for a woman and eight for a fool.”

I don't think it's a myth, i think it's just an average. The human body needs sleep to 'recharge' itself. It's our bodies way of giving us energy. The reason some people can have 8 hours sleep and feel fine yet others feel tired is all on our lifestyles and how we are built. Obviously another way we get energy is from food so those who eat more may not need to sleep as much.

So it's hard to get a definitive answer on how much sleep you should get, but as i already said it's more than likely an average.

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users