Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replacing a modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimvt

jimvt

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

I'd like to replace my Zoom modem with a used one (Motorola Surfboard) that my son gave me.

Is this a complex process?

TNX

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Please post the models of these two modems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Zoom Cable modem 3.0 and Motorola Surfboard S85100.

Tnx

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Replacing a modem is generally a very easy thing to do. You might have to call your ISP to get it activated and associated with your account.

Speaking of your ISP did you check to make sure it is an approved modem for that provider? Who is your internet provider?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Specification wise, both modems are compatible, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Queen-Evie has posted the most important information in this situation, check with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to be sure the modem is approved for use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Comcast

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

jimvt, thank you for providing the information that your ISP is Comcast.

The Motorola Surfboard S85100 is not on the approved modem list for Comcast.

It is listed on End of Life devices page as reaching EOL in June 2013. You can use it but may notice a drop in performance and eventually it will be unusable.

Plus, it is a Docsis 2 device and your Zoom is a Docsis 3. While you can still use that Motorola device it be a step down for you. You can purchase a Docsis 2 device but in order to get the best possible performance you need Docsis 3. 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/end-of-life-devices/

What Does It Mean When a Device is End of Life (EOL) or End of Support (EOS)?

An End of Life (EOL) device is any XFINITY Internet or XFINITY Voice device that needs to be replaced after being made obsolete due to changes in technology. Older devices, such as cable modems, were not designed to support the faster speeds and improved security features that are available today.

For example, we have upgraded our network from the original DOCSIS 1.0 standard to the significantly improved and much more recent DOCSIS 3.0 standard. If you currently use a DOCSIS 1.1 or DOCSIS 2.0 device, you will not be able to enjoy the full benefits of our service such as higher speeds, greater security and better reliability.

In addition, an End of Life modem in most cases means the device's manufacturer has stopped providing support for a device, such as firmware dates and bug fixes. Occasionally, we will find a device that is defective and no longer sutable for use.

End of Life basically means we will no longer install the device, either as a new or replacement device. In addition, it means we no longer recommend that customers purchase these devices, whether new or used. It is also an advance warning that the device will soon need to be replaced.

Typically, if a device is identified as End of Life, it will subsequently move to End of Support (EOS) status. This means that when a device reaches End of Support status, it will no longer work on our network or be compatible with our network and/or services.

Approved modems can be found here http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

If you want to purchase a modem not all of them are available for retail sale.

If you currently rent your Zoom from Comcast and return it PLEASE READ THIS FIRST-Returning Equipment? Get A Receipt It contains very important information that could save you from a big mess later on.

Also KEEP THE RECEIPT FOR THE MODEM AND THE BOX IT CAME IN. Comcast sometimes screws up and charges customers the rental fee for modems they purchased. Your receipt will be proof that it is indeed one you bought and they will tell you to provide the receipt as proof.

If you have any questions about a particular model of modem, ask in the Comcast Help Forums in Basic Internet Connectivity And Modem Help.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 July 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#8 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

OK folks, thank you both for you interest.

Guess I'll keep "zooming!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users