Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU Voltages ok?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wenborn

Wenborn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

I have recently brought Arma 3 and had issues with it locking up every time during game play thought it was odd as I had suspicions of my hardware integrity as I got a couple of blue screen errors while playing METRO Last Light a month or two ago so I decided to check my PSU voltages via a multimeter and got the following,

+12V 12.54V
+5V 4.99V
+3.3V 3.41V
-12V -12.09V

Is there anything abnormal with my voltages? if so would it of caused any damage? if they are fine I will go on to check my Graphics Card RAM and also CPU for hardware issueslb_icon1.png and report back.

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor
GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 (PALIT Edition)
4GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHZ
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
2TB WD Black Edition
Epsilon 80plus 600w PSU
Windows 7 Pro

I do appreciate any help you guys give me!

Regards,

Richard Wenborn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

As indicated on your link, those voltages look normal. The 5V rail is the most tightly specified on a PSU, as it is defined by TTL logic specifications. It's therefore the reference rail that typical PSUs are regulated from - yours being spot on is a good sign. +12V has more leeway, and is often looser in its regulation, so if the PSU is not heavily loaded it's better for the voltage to be a little high, as it's got room for sag when the load comes on. Likewise the 3.3V being a little high with less than full load is normal. -12V serves no modern purpose with most systems.

One thing most multimeters can't show you is if a PSU is having voltage fluctuations of a very short time duration - just spikes of milliseconds. If you don't have access to a logging meter which shows maximum and minimum voltage range over time, then getting to try a different PSU for a while is probably the best check.

However if the problems you're having only show up in a single game, that would put PSU lower in the list of suspects.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Ditto on the above advice.  If you do check voltages, make sure your system is loaded/stressed while taking the readings.  Run Intel Burn Test and Furmark at the same time, and check your voltages then.  It is an eye opener with some power supplies.

I admit to being lazy.  In situations like this I usually nudge my memory voltage up .1V (assuming you are at 1.5V) and see if that makes a difference.  Sometime I will bump my CPU voltage a tad to see if there is any effect.  I mainly want to find the weak link.  If bumping voltage on either makes a positive difference, then you have a start for the diag.  If memory is a problem, run one stick at a time till you find the problem child.

I have no idea how old your system is. GTX 260 was around in the 2008-2009 timeframe, so if it has been used that long, might be a problem.   If it is only a couple years old, start looking at memory first.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Hi

If you are experiencing BSOD only with Metro last light, then it won't be a system hardware issue. Try updating video drivers to the latest release and also make sure the game is updated to the latest patch. Metro Last light received four patches since it's release which includes several bug fixes. 

Overheating graphics card or CPU, improperly overclocked/overvoltaged GPU or CPU etc can also cause blue screens under stress.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 25 July 2013 - 09:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users