Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Humble Tomato

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Whilst the Granny brigade advocate that tomatoes cause Gout, the rest of the world`s nutritional experts say that tomatoes are the best health food in existence. They are apparently a miracle  food in helping to prevent Prostate Cancer and provide benefit against a whole load of other ailments, plus supplying the body with vitamins for a healthy lifestyle. 

So, stuff yourself with tomatoes and die of old age..

Edited by yabbadoo, 25 July 2013 - 06:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

“Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.” ― Miles Kington

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

A tomato picked right off the vine. Sliced and slapped between 2 pieces of bread. Heaven on earth.

Or a thick slice of COLD tomato on a hot buttered biscuit. And there is always the every popular BLT. (for me minus the lettuce and adding swiss cheese)

Or cold sliced tomatoes as a side dish.

Tomato gravy is also excellent.

And the best one of all: fried to perfection green tomatoes.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

heres a fact about tomatos that I bet you all didn't know. Statistics show that 100% of people who eat tomatoes dies.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 ~Kal~

~Kal~

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Fresh home grown tomato, garlic, basil and oil on top of toasted ciabatta. Pinch of salt and pepper. Now that's heaven.

Tomato and red onion salad is also to die for. Speaking of which, I'm a bit worried about the patriot's statistic :wink:

kal

Kal
Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so our timezones may not always sync.
If I'm helping you and haven't replied within 24 hrs please send me a pm

#6 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Fresh home grown tomato, garlic, basil and oil on top of toasted ciabatta. Pinch of salt and pepper. Now that's heaven.

Tomato and red onion salad is also to die for. Speaking of which, I'm a bit worried about the patriot's statistic :wink:

kal

Kai,

A 100% of people who do not eat tomatoes also die. Perhaps a lot earlier than the tomato munchers.

Tomato2_zps958fdca6.jpg

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

The English word tomato comes from the Spanish word, tomate, derived Nahuatl (Aztec language) word, tomatl. It first appeared in print in 1595. A member of the deadly nightshade family, tomatoes were erroneously thought to be poisonous (although the leaves are poisonous) by Europeans who were suspicious of their bright, shiny fruit. Native versions were small, like cherry tomatoes, and most likely yellow rather than red.

The tomato is native to western South America and Central America. In 1519, Cortez discovered tomatoes growing in Montezuma's gardens and brought seeds back to Europe where they were planted as ornamental curiosities, but not eaten.

Eat the fruit but not the leaves. Or as patriot suggests you may become one of the 100%.

Edited by sikntired, 25 July 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#8 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

You all are just too funny! I love the humor....its so good to laugh at the simple stuff....after all,life is short and 100% of ALL people die....Kaluk,I'm originally from Sicily and that sounds alot like our bruschetta....finely chopped onions and tomatoes mix with basil,parsley,sauteed minced garlic,little salt, pepper,oil& vinegar then spread over a nice toasted slice of Italian bread with a slice of mozzarella cheese.....muah!

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

newbleeping, I'm a redneck Southern United States country girl born, raised, and still live in Alabama. And while I love the foods I grew up on I do also love a good bruschetta.

Kaluk, that sounds like something I do with tomatoes but I don't normally put them on bread. I season up thick slices, drizzle olive oil on them, put on various herbs, parmesan and/or romano cheese (which I grate myself because the parmesan/romano cheese-from-a-can is yucky tasting) and stick 'em under the broiler for a few minutes.

#10 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Y'all got goood taste Queen Evie,I cant forget you .....you gave me a warm welcome and a note of encouragement with that Southern Hospitality(I'm from Florida).Not to change the tomatoe subject but speakin' on the south side "How 'bout them  bisquits n gravy",,,,,,,oh yeah!     newbleeping

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Biscuits and gravy=culinary delight

#12 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Queen Evie,I just knew that had to ignite your taste buds!   Hey,since everybody has something to share about "tomatoes" does anyone know where the expression "she's a real hot tomatoe" came from to describe an attractive gal...I believe it came about in the '50s.....(lol)I just can't see the similarity?,,,,newbleeping :notme:

#13 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Queen Evie,I just knew that had to ignite your taste buds!   Hey,since everybody has something to share about "tomatoes" does anyone know where the expression "she's a real hot tomatoe" came from to describe an attractive gal...I believe it came about in the '50s.....(lol)I just can't see the similarity?,,,,newbleeping :notme:

"A real hot tomato", sounds like it comes from the bright red colour and the heat needed to ripen them off. Making a really attractive and yummy proposition.

Edited by yabbadoo, 26 July 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#14 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hmmm Yabba,you just do not fail to put a smile on my face!I can now see a resemblance(lol).....newbleeping

#15 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Actually think this may have had something to do with the phrase

us_star.jpg pacific_wrecks.jpg pw-donation.jpg
All donations are100% tax deductible
non-profit 501c3   $ Main Search Forum Reviews People MIAs Help Email
b25-ole-tomato.jpg B-25D "How's Your Ole' Tomato" 41-30664 parked
Credit: USAAF, 5th AF via Steve BirdsallDate: 1943
B&W

High Resolution Version
Acquire This Image
| Contact Us

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information?

Make A Donation | Previous Page | Pacific Wrecks.com

Last Updated
March 5, 2013

pacific_wrecks_org.jpg Pacific Wrecks Incorporated is a non-profit charity 501©(3) Donate Now
© 1995-2013
All rights reserved
NAVIGATIONFAQSearchForumNewsPeopleMIAsReviewsHelp  

Read more: PacificWrecks - B-25D "How's Your Ole' Tomato" 41-30664 parked http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-25/41-30664/1943/b25-ole-tomato.html#ixzz2aAi0v7Z0
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives
Follow us: @pacificwrecks on Twitter | PacificWrecks on Facebook

Edited by sikntired, 26 July 2013 - 12:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users