Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98 - Setup does not resume after restart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iggyvolz

iggyvolz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

I'm selling my old Gateway computer and transferring everything to a VirtualBox on my Windows 7 PC.

The Windows 98 setup files were on a read-only drive F: so I had to transfer it over to C:\Setup.  After running C:\Setup\setup.exe, everything worked fine until the first reboot.  The computer started in MS-DOS mode as if I didn't install Windows 98.  The install worked because the computer includes directories like Program Files, Windows, etc.   However, I can't get the Windows 98 logo to show and finish the installation.  I've tried moving the autorun.inf to C:\ (changing the path to \setup\cdsample\autorun) and launching numerous EXE's, none of which seem to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Now you're making my brain hurt, haven't used 98 for a long time. :axe:

Normally in Win 98 your setup.exe would be at the root of the media (or in your case C:\setup.exe instead of C:\Setup\setup.exe). Moving the autorun to an obscure path won't help either as the windows dos prompt won't natively look there for a file to run. At the command prompt, type Path to see where it does look by default. If you want to change the path you can type Path= and add the path you want windows to look at but doing that is temporary and won't survive a reboot.

Aditionally, when you boot to the command prompt, as you say it does, I recall you can start 98 by typing in C:\Windows\Win.com. Try that and see what happens.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136630 for more info.

You can also edit C:\autoexec.bat to add C:\Windows\win.com but I'm not sure if you need to add Device= or Path= in front of that as memory fails me right now. Does autoexec.bat contain anything now?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 iggyvolz

iggyvolz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

It's populated on the A: drive but does not exist on the C: drive.  For what it's worth, the computer starts with the A: drive and I can see that A:\autoexec.bat runs.  I'll try copying the setup files to A:\ and running it.

When I run Win.com it says:

Registry File was not found.  Registry services may be

inoperative for this session.

XMS cache problem.  Registry services may be

inoperative this session.

_

Then it pauses for a moment (with a blinking cursor on a blank line) then changes to a blue screen:

VFAT Device Initialization Failed

A device or resource required by VFAT is not present

or is unavailable.  VFAT cannot continue loading.

System halted._

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

What are the specs for this pc? Has it ever run 98 before?

I remember VFAT errors and they were dificult to solve as every win 98 machine had a different VFAT folder that loaded drivers specific to that machine. Maybe this will help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/139063

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Mr Young

Mr Young

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

hi. im new here and havnt been on windows 98 in a long time.

but im sure I remember something like this from glitch installs before.

I think you may need to use msconfig and clean up the boot section so that it boots the right path with the right switches.

Hope this helps, and sorry if it doesn't...bit rusty =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users