Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[HELP] internal hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mistadriz

mistadriz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 545 and just woke up this morning to boot it up to find a great notice after the Dell splash saying "HD self monitoring system has reported a parameter has exceeded its normal operating range. Press F1, etc...". I keep getting desktop popups about it as well so I ran some tests with My Dell and found out it's true I need to back up and replace my Interal Hard Drive now. I'm clueless on which drive I can replace my current with so thought I'd come to you all hoping for some advice before I make a bad buy. 

Current Hard Drive Specs

Brand: Seagate

Series: Barracuda 7200.11

Model: ST3320613AS

Interface: SATA 3.0Gb/s

Capacity: 320GB

RPM: 7200 RPM

Cache: 16MB

Form Factor: 3.5"

I'm not sure what else you need to know for compatibility issues but I'm looking to upgrade it, so any help would be greatly appreciate. Just let me know what you need to know. I've found a couple and one in particular that looks good to me but again I'm clueless with Hard Drives.

The specs to the that Hard Drive are:

Brand: Seagate

Series: Constellation ES.3

Model: ST1000NM0033

Interface: SATA 6.0Gb/s

Capacity: 1TB

RPM: 7200 RPM

Cache: 128MB

Form Factor: 3.5"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer

The 1 TB hard drive will work find as the Interface (SATA) and Form Factor are the important details when looking for replacements and compatibility.

Tekken

#3 mistadriz

mistadriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thanks jhayz.

Yeah that's pretty much what I've been looking at. Just wasn't sure if any of my other hardware like Motherboard takes into play with whats actually compatible and what's not. So would this be a decent upgrade beside the 1TB compared to what I already have? Additional 112 Cache and SATA 6.0GB/s, assuming this will be alot faster right?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

Upgrade in terms of hard drive - cache... is not actually the measurement to better speeds but the RPM or spin and seek times.  A better hard drive offered nowadays are the SSD or Solid State Drives.

Tekken

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

I run a seagate 1tb 7200 rpm sata-300 as my secondary drive and i can vouch that it runs nice and cool ( low 40s C....low 100s F). i think mine is the green variety though, which must mean it sips watts or something.  The SSD variety gets top billing for use as the primary boot drive. i think there are a variety of SSD OEMs but Intel is what everyone recommends. a sweet 120 GB SSD is what i see get recommended. i looked at the prices and SSDs are not for the budget conscious.

one more thing....an HDD that isn't defragged is always a bad thing.    when data is scattered all over the place  that  makes the HDD work really hard.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users