Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 random lockups

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mr. Wilber

Mr. Wilber

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

I am currently being helped by Gingo with a PC infected but I have another PC acting odd so I want to make sure first the PC is not infected.  Gringo has been great and the help here has been amazing.

I have a custom built PC which I upgared to Windows 8 several months ago.  Here are the specs:

System   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
  Model A78XA-A2T
  Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
  System type 64-bit operating system
  Number of processor cores 2

Storage   (SATA)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Total size of hard disk(s) 298 GB
  Disk partition (C:) 97 GB Free (285 GB Total)
  Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (13 GB Total)
  Disk partition (E:) 161 MB Free (199 MB Total)
  Media drive (F:) CD/DVD

Graphics   
   Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
  Total available graphics memory 1279 MB
        Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
        Dedicated system memory 0 MB
        Shared system memory 767 MB
  Display adapter driver version 8.970.100.7000
  Primary monitor resolution 1024x768
  DirectX version DirectX 10.1

Network   

Network Adapter Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller

I had upgraded from Windows XP (if I recall correctly) to Window 8 with a promotion Microsoft offered.  From what I can remember the PC was working fine, we just did not use it a lot.  I installed 8, installed some programs included antivirus etc.  At some point I noticed it was freezing.  Screen would shut off, the power button would illuminate but I could not restart or do anything except I had to perform a hard shutdown and turn it back on.  I never saw any error messages. I performed a bunch of hardware checks, virus checks, updated driver, modified BIOS, etc.  Nothing helped. 

I decided to reinstall Windows onto a new harddrive.  The first drive I used was a 500 GB IDE drive.  I had a drive from a broken laptop which had WIndows 7, I was not sure MS would let me install but it did.  Now I have Windows 8 on a new harddrive installed over Windows 7....

Same problems, random lockups.  I disconnected and uninstalled the video card, updated the drivers, took out two sticks of RAM since they were slightly different from the other two.  I could boot into safe mode and it seemed to not lockup in safemode.  But it eventually did have one occur.  Don't think it is temp related, fan works fine and the lockups are so random, it could be ten minutes after startup or 45 mins.  I had trouble updating Windows but I was eventually able to get it updated to the most current level. 

This was very suspicious, I downloaded and installed AVG antivirus and Malware antimalware but I had such a hard time getting this done, it would frequently lockup while downloading and installing this programs.  I had to install them during safemode.  I ran those programs (in safemode) and nothing was found. 

The only conflict I noticed is under the device manager the Raid device is marked, but I don't use a RAID configuration.  I was concerned about IRQ and resource conflicts.  I made some changes but it never seemed to help. 

So before I spend too much more time I want to make sure the PC doesn't have an infection.

Thank you

Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr. Wilber

Mr. Wilber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

This can be closed because I stated a new topic since I have discovered a virus/malware.

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users