Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my computer dead?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jammen

jammen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Gateway zx6971 home premium 64 bit all-in-one.

1) I had a problem with my usb cable modem driver which would not repair itself.  So I went to Gateway support and downloaded the updated usb driver.  When I installed it I did not see any change as there was still a warning icon next to the usb cable modem in device manager. 

2) So then I tried to repair the system using Gateway recovery.  It said that I had to uninstall the new usb cable modem driver using windows program uninstall.  When I did that the screen froze up.  Eventually I unplugged the computer.  When I restarted I discovered that I had no longer had usb mouse or keyboard capabilities.

3)  I played around in bios and decided to use optical drive startup as I thought that the Gateway driver repair disc I inserted would then start up.

4)  No such luck.  Instead I no longer have access to bios nor safe mode.  Windows will start normally as I can't find any other options except to start it normally, but the mouse and keyboard are dead.  After a few minutes the screen saver automatically kicks in.  And if that isn't enough, I had disabled the touch screen as I never liked it or used it.

So here's my question.  Is there any hope for a moron like myself or do I now have a large paperweight?  You guys are the best so I remain hopeful, yet discouraged at my own stupidity.

Guys, I got the answer.  ALT + repeatedly hitting f10 forces Gateway recovery management to start.

Edited by jammen, 24 July 2013 - 08:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users