Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Change your IP Address ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

A point of many discussions and many viewpoints, but what does an IP change achieve ?

Seemingly, not much at all for the 99% of ordinary users.

The major reasons for changing an IP are :-

- To overcome a site ban based on IP.
- To change identity following an attack.
- To get round some restriction based on IP.

- To register more than one account on a site.

- etc.

All of which are really not worth the effort. I cannot see a security issue in sight, the reasons are all personal attempts to overcome some restriction.

Yes, we have dynamic and static IP`s, but  so what ? We have router systems which have no problem with IP worries and of  course Proxy`s. It all seems a big fuss over nothing.

It is  astounding what data an IP can reveal, even to a plodder like me using one of the free IP Trackers. See - http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php?ip=208.43.120.24

But unless you are paranoid or neurotic about your IP gateway to outsiders knowing a lot about you, then simply  enjoy your browsing.

I have a fixed IP by my server covering a lease period of 3.1/2 days. If I kill the  computer for that period, my IP changes automatically. I do use a free Proxy at times for certain sites, which seems to work fine - never had any problems doing this. In fact In around 12 years I have never had a security problem to my knowledge that has been IP related.

What good do you think changing your IP will do for you ?

Edited by yabbadoo, 24 July 2013 - 03:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Are you talking about the IP address of a client or a server?

When you say that your server has an IP address with a lease of 3.5 days, that sounds like DHCP to me.

With DHCP, you get a dynamic IP address, not a static IP address.

It can be that the DHCP server always assigns your server the same IP address, some call this a sticky dynamic IP address.

There's also the DHCP reservation, this makes that the DHCP server always assigns your server the same IP address (based on its MAC address).

Edited by Didier Stevens, 24 July 2013 - 03:54 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Are you talking about the IP address of a client or a server?

When you say that your server has an IP address with a lease of 3.5 days, that sounds like DHCP to me.

With DHCP, you get a dynamic IP address, not a static IP address.

It can be that the DHCP server always assigns your server the same IP address, some call this a sticky dynamic IP address.

There's also the DHCP reservation, this makes that the DHCP server always assigns your server the same IP address (based on its MAC address).

My entire post is about the IP of ordinary users.

The way I understand it and I may be wrong in precise terms, is that my server has issued me with a fixed IP on a "lease" period of 3.1/2 days.

What I mean is that my IP is allocated to me as with all other customers having a 3.1/2 days inactivity period. If the computer remains dead for that period, the IP is automatically changed on resumption of activity. If the computer is never dead for that period, the original IP will last forever.

I apologise for the confusion on my part, but I do not know how better to explain it.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

OK, I think I understand your question better now.

With "my server", you mean the server from your ISP (the DHCP server) that assigns an IP address to your computer (the DHCP client).

It is not that you own a server?

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

OK, I think I understand your question better now.

With "my server", you mean the server from your ISP (the DHCP server) that assigns an IP address to your computer (the DHCP client).

It is not that you own a server?

Dear Didier,

You have it in a nutshell - thank you.

Yabba

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

OK.

I see no security benefit from changing the IP address of your workstation.

And you have to realize that by obtaining another IP address from your ISP's DHCP server, you still get an IP address that is in the subnet(s) assigned to your ISP.

It's not that your ISP can assign you any IP address.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#7 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

OK.

I see no security benefit from changing the IP address of your workstation.

And you have to realize that by obtaining another IP address from your ISP's DHCP server, you still get an IP address that is in the subnet(s) assigned to your ISP.

It's not that your ISP can assign you any IP address.

I suppose my hidden meaning in raising this matter at all, is the popular belief that a new IP is a passport to infinite nefarious and enjoyable activities, circumventing bans and all that jazz and provides an impenetrable armour against attack by bad guys. It is of course a fallacy, but I am searching for the opinions of interested posters.

With luck we should get a good response. It is after all a very topical subject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users