Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just recently I tried to update windows xp sp3 and it failed.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jerhyn

Jerhyn

• Members
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I recently got help from BoopMe about scanning for virus infections. And I wanted to say thank you all for having this website. it is wonderfull and I think im learning just how intricate these systems are.

My new wrinkle is that after removing several years of junkware, and unwanted addons and Pup's I went to update my windows xp, sp3, it finds 12 updates but as each tries to download it responds that the install failed.

The first thing I tried was updating windows internet explorer to ie8, which looks like was successfull, rebooted and reran the win update , same result 12 patches, but each failed.

I am guessing that some file, or permission setting was changed when I removed programs, or ran the av programs.

One error that I was getting from msconfig about needing admin rights, and my account has admin rights. I tried using hosts-perm to reset permissions, and msconfig no longer gives that error.

So I am wondering why I can set the system time and update ie8, but not windows xp ?

Jer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Make sure you have enough free space. When multiple updates fail to install free space could be the issue.

#3 Jerhyn

Jerhyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Plenty of free disk space, over 500 gigs.

New symptom, I was able to down load ie8 as before, get online, like now, but trying to load update for online game I get a no internet connectivity detected error.

Something seems to be blocking update function, I was playing online lastnight with no issue, and I have not made any changes or scans to the system.

Things like netflix streaming and firefox websurfing are fine.

When I look at the connectivity error box, I see a blue proxy setting note, opening that has blank fields for proxy, at the bottom there is a blue link that says pando media booster settings, the link does nothing.

I looked at your link to windows cd -udc-07.09.13c. it downloaded, am I going to use  that  for updates. waiting till I hear before doing anything with it.

Ok, I think I found the problem, this post should be closed. I will repost with correct problem.

Edited by Jerhyn, 24 July 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

We don't close topics in this forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

I looked at your link to windows cd -udc-07.09.13c. it downloaded, am I going to use  that  for updates. waiting till I hear before doing anything with it.

Those updates and addons that the UDC script downloads are not made for a running system that has been getting Windows updates since the day of installation. They can be used to quickly update a fresh install of XP SP3 but a few are add-ons so those will have to be installed via Windows Update or Automatic Updates. What it is designed to do is to take your existing Windows XP disk (must be a real disk with an i386 folder) and bring it up to date so that when you need to reinstall XP all the updates and service packs are already applied. It helps with repair installs and sfc /scannow too. If months or years go by and you need to reinstall then using that patched disk will save time since there will be a whole lot less updates for you to install. Remember though, XP support ends in less than a year. There aren't that many more patches to go.

If you need to know more, let me know.

Edited by .X., 24 July 2013 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users