Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MattJ147

MattJ147

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hello.

I'm looking for any help/tips that you're willing to give, as I've gotten outside the scope of my tech knowledge.  I have an old Dell XPS desktop that I had previously upgraded to Windows 8 that will not boot up on me anymore.  I had almost everything backed up to cloud storage, with the exception of a couple folders of pictures that my wife had very recently put on there, because she did not save them to the cloud, nor did I back them up before the PC went kaput.

The PC had two 250GB hard drives that I have removed.  I borrowed a Thermaltake BlackX hard drive dock from a friend and connected it to my laptop (which runs Windows 7).  Here is my dilemma.. All I want to do is get those couple folders of pictures and move them to my laptop, but I don't know which of the two hard drives was being used on the PC.  

-When I put one of them in the hard drive dock, nothing happens but when I go to Disk Management it pops up saying it needs to be initialized using either MBR or GPT method.

-When I put the other one in, it adds E: as a drive on my laptop and pops up saying the drive needs to be formatted.  It shows this drive in Disk Management also and says it has a RAW file system.

How do I know which drive has my PC data on it, and how can I retrieve it?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

when this computer worked did it have two drives? Like a c:\ and d:\ as well as maybe a cd/dvd drive e:\  or did it only have one drive? Like a c:\ drive where your files where and then a d:\ drive for the cd/dvd drive?

A higher level question would be do you know if this was a raid setup before?

#3 MattJ147

MattJ147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Only a C:\ drive where the files were and a D:\ for the CD/DVD drive.

Yes I'm pretty sure it was a RAID setup.

Thanks for the assistance.

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

If it was a RAID setup you will need to do some pretty special things to get files off those hard drive - One of the easier things to do is put the drives back in the original machine exactly the way it was setup before and boot a windows 7 or 8 repair disk (or install disk and select repair this computer option) - open up a command prompt from the repair options - open up notepad and browse around the files to see if you can find what you you want - then use a copy/robocopy command from the command prompt to get what you want.

If you cannot use the old computer at all you are looking at using special recovery software to get data off those drive - my fav is Active@ bootdisk ($80, Not Free) to get the files - AND you would would need to connect both drives to the other computer at the same time (Not to mention that the software asks you alot of questions that common users do not have the answers to such as what was the raid stripe size used). Please use first method if possible.

Third option turn into professional recovery service (definitely not free, will be in the $800-? range, think drivesavers as one of the more reputable outfits)

I cannot vouch that the second method will be worth your time or money because that depends on whether you can answer the questions properly and the condition of the hard drives.

#5 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for your guys questions and answers. I found the information I want.

Again, thanks! :thumbup2:

#6 evelynmsmock

evelynmsmock

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

To recover deleted files and folders from corrupted or formatted hard disk drive, memory card, SD cards and many more storage device use windows data recovery software. Many data recovery companies offering this types of software. one such program is here which offer free trial version of software, with the help of this trial version you are eligible to see the preview of recover data.

This tool recover almost everthing from your storage device.

http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/

Use Free Version

Hope this will help you.

#7 Armand Duval

Armand Duval

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Try R-Studio, it's paid. If you want to buy other software, confirm with them first if they can recover data from a raw file system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users