Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

un-partition the hard drive in windows XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 katouriann

katouriann

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

I am asking how I can un-partition a 500 GB hard drive in windows XP. It is partitioned in half two 250 GB drives.. There fore, I only have 250GB to work with on my C drive. I want the whole 500 GB and do not want the partition.  I understand that windows XP does not have a program to do that with.  How else can this be done?

margiedogholdingshoe2.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

How to Make Two Partitons Into One (Windows, XP, Vista, 7)

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

@ SpywareDoc. That's video is only for Windows 7 Disk Management. XP does not have the extend volume command.

katouriann, having a second partition is a good idea. You move your data there so that it's separate from the OS. You don't have to worry about restoring your data from your backups in case you need to reinstall the OS. You do do backups right?
You can move My Documents, My Pictures, Favorites, My Music, Desktop and any other place you store data to the second partition. Just open C:\Documents and Settings\<your username> and move the folders I mentioned to the other partition. The registry should automatically set the new folder location. Log off and then back on to finalize the settings.

If you still want to have only one partition. Do this..

You'll need a 3rd party app. Two that will do it are MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition and EaseUS Partition Master. They are both free.

Messing with partitions is a slightly risky endeavor so back up your data first!

Notes when installing....
When installing EaseUS it will ask to make Bing your search engine and MSN your homepage. You have to click custom (It's hard to see. They're sneaky) and then uncheck the two items if you don't want that to happen. On the next dialog it will give you the option of an express install or custom install. Choose custom and uncheck "Install TuneUp Utilities 2013".
It will also put a startup item that shows up in your notification area. So download Startup Control Panel
(get the standalone exe), run it, go to the HKLM/Run tab and right click EaseUS EPM tray and delete.

Edited by .X., 24 July 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Oops. sorry about that. Keep forgetting how antiquated XP is.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#5 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thanks, I will try this. I hope it will give me just one 500 GB hard drive..

#6 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hi again.  I downloaded both programs. The first one wouldn't work at all.( Mini tool box)

The second one "EaseUs" seemed to work but when I got to "merge" It wouldn't merge D drive with C drive. It gave me no options to merge them.  Is there any other program out there that will do this in windows Xp? 

I realize how antiquated it is, this is not my computer, it is a friends, and he really wants to still be able to use it.  Problem is he is only working with 250GB of space and it is not enough. The other partition is wasted space since he has an external drive that he saves everything to...

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

I just tried it in a VM with EaseUS and it worked perfectly. Try again and if it doesn't work, delete the second partition and then choose Resize/Move. Then restore any data that was on the 2nd partition from your backup.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

If you haven't had any success with EaseUS try Partition Logic, it has a very good reputation and is reputed to be easy to use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users