Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicking Noise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DreadTech

DreadTech

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hello i have a Dell Inspiron 1545 That I downgraded to XP a few months and i randomly get a clicking sound but not from the hard drive its coming from the speaker any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2013 - 01:56 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

So long as you are happy that this clicking is not coming from your hard drive but is coming through your speakers, it is most likely to be pick up in the speaker amplifier. If you are using fairly standard type computer speakers, where the audio goes to one of them which has an amplifier built into to feed both sets of speakers, typically these are not very high quality amplifiers.

Most houses, and offices for that matter, have a considerable number of mains powered circuits which switch on and off at more or less random intervals - lights, fridges, freezers to name but three - and all of these can generate switching 'crashes' which echo around both by the wiring in the house and as RF energy. Filtering most of this out is not too difficult or expensive, filtering virtually all of it out is both difficult and expensive !  This is one of the reasons high quality amplifiers cost so much. Since you are happy that the problem is not your hard drive, then this is the probable cause of the clicks on your speakers.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

You said the clicking noise is random. Can you give us some examples of what you are doing when you hear it?

#4 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Another suggestion:  Look in your Control Panel for Accessibility options and see if something related to text-to-speech is enabled.  Sorry, I don't remember exactly what it's called, but XP used to come with it always enabled, and I just noticed my Win 7 did too.  It has a tendency to produce random sounds, or in speech-to-text, random text in odd places.

#5 DreadTech

DreadTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

@ Queen Evie For Instance When I boot up it does it several times thanks for the suggestions MzLindy i will check that out and thanks for the response Chris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users