Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"operating system not found"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TempleCat

TempleCat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

I purchased an Acer Aspire V5 a couple of weeks ago, and every time I start up, the first time around it will display a plain black screen with "operation system not found" at the top left corner.  If I press the power button to shut down (the only way it will in this condition), wait a few seconds, then turn back on it will boot up like it should.  Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

That doesn't sound good. Which model Aspire V5? What kind of hard drive are you using? What Operating System are you using? Most manufactures offer a diagnostic tool that you can download and use to troubleshoot your hard drive and any time my PC's having problems finding information it's the first thing I use to make sure the drive isn't failing. Here's a link to Speccy, which will display your system details in case you don't know exactly what you have.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Then you should probably run a SFC/Scannow to verify that your OS isn't corrupted or missing some files. 

1. Open an Elevated Command Prompt by right clicking the Command Prompt shortcut and choosing Run as Administrator.

2. Type sfc /scannow into Command Prompt and press Enter.

3. SFC (System File Checker) will scan your Windows System files and repair/replace any missing or corrupted OS files.

You could also try resetting your BIOS settings. A lot of people on the ACER site are posting the same problem since January. Most suspect their HDDs are at fault, but a few recommend the following.

Reset BIOS on Acer Laptops:

1. Shut down your computer.
2. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2. Sometimes Delete is the key that brings up your BIOS screen.
3. Press F9 and then Enter to load the default configuration.
4. Press F10 and then Enter to save and exit.

Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users