Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card choices. old and powerful or newer OEM?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sark76

sark76

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

Long time reader..first time poster....

So my old gaming machine that I think I built in 2006 fried...all except the Nvidia 9800 GTX I had in there. I don't have the time or resources to built another gaming machine so I broke down and bought a store built Asus that is pretty kick butt for a shelf computer.

The question I really had is about the video card that came with it. I don't have any more money to spend on a video card right now so I have two choices...should I keep the Nvidia GT 630 GPU that came with this machine or replace it with my used older Nvida 9800 GTX?

Which card is better? The old powerful one (at the time) or the new OEM GPU?

My old system was a AMD quad core on Vista x32 w/ 8G RAM...The New system is Intel 3.4 Gzh on Window 8 x64 w/ 16G RAM

all base on the hypothetical therory the the power supply can even support it. 

Edited by sark76, 23 July 2013 - 11:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

From my research, it looks like the difference in performance between the two cards is so marginal that you won't notice any difference between the two.

However, the GT 630 supports DX11, so if it were me I would go with that.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 24 July 2013 - 12:40 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-9800-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GT-630

On paper I think it's kind of a hard choice. I've been reading a lot about graphics card stats and I guess the best way to tell is bench marking with the actual games you play though. The first video is the 9800 in Battlefield 3. The second is the 630. Both look like they'll get the job done. I think they're pretty much even considering one was high end, but old, and the other is low end, but new. It's probably going to be up to you to try them both and let us know. 

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 24 July 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#4 sark76

sark76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

AdagioBoognish

That link you gave me is awesome! That Really really helps alot....and is a new fav on my desktop!

xXAlphaXx

I never even thought to think about DX....I didn't know there even was 11!

Thanks to both of you....I'll keep you posted as to the outcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users