Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PCIe slot is backwards?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 superrr

superrr

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, not new to forums. 
Anyways, I need a little bit of help with my tower/motherboard/graphics card.

Okay, here's the deal... a few months back I bought a desktop pc from a guy... which he had worked on.

Here is what the tower model is..... an HP Pavilion Media Center a1512x..... he then took out the motherboard, and put in an Intel DG33BU Motherboard, which has an Intel Xeon Quad Core Processor X3210.... anyways, lately I've been getting back into computer games but this standard built in graphics card boasts a terrible 64mb display. 
So I went to Staples today and bought a new graphics card... I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the graphics card because I returned it immediately.

When I tried to install it I realized that the PCIe that I need to put my graphics card in is BACKWARDS in the computer. What I'm saying is, that if I would have tried to install it it would slide all the way down, and the VGA output on the Graphics card would be IN the computer, instead of facing out the back of the tower??? 

I'm pretty good with software, but I honestly have no idea what to do with this now... I need help urgently. 
I will upload a couple pictures! 

Please, if any one knows how to help me, I'm in desperate need. I'm also willing to pay if someone can bring me to a solution quick! Thank you guys, adios.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Some pictures would be helpful for sure, but until then I've got this.

i2iro7.jpg

I could understand the motherboard being placed wrong except for a few points. You see at the top of the picture the area 'G'? Those are connections for your Ethernet cable, monitor, USB devices, and 3.5mm jacks for headphones, speakers, and microphones (usually). If those are faced correctly (out the back of the case so you can plug into them) then the PCIe slots are also faced correctly. Are you sure you placed the graphics card correctly? 

20t57xh.jpg

You'll notice the fans are facing up in this picture. In my case the mother board is on the opposite side as the pins on the graphics card. If I turn the card with the fans still facing up to place it in the slot, the connections will be inside my case. However if I flip it so the fans are on the bottom then it will fit the slot and the connections will be sitting correctly and be accessible through the back panel of the case. I think you just got turned around.

Let me know if this doesn't make since and I'll take some pictures with my case to show you what I mean.

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 23 July 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#3 superrr

superrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Okay, you'll see that the PCIe slot appears to be backwards....
Attached File  rsz_img_0876.jpg   52.13KB   10 downloads

but on the video card, the little slit thing is the wrong way....

Attached File  51WdpSY1HyL.jpg   61.71KB   10 downloads

You see? I'm sorry but I'm completely confused, again, if someone can help me, I am way more than willing to pay.

Edited by superrr, 24 July 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#4 superrr

superrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

By the way, that video card is a 

DIAMOND AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 PCIE 1GB GDDR3 Video

The same one I bought.

Edited by superrr, 24 July 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Come on people.

The white slots are PCI slots, not PCI-E slots.  The video card goes in the top slot, the "F" slot in the diagram above.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 superrr

superrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

So it goes in that black slot?
Except, look, the black slot wouldn't be able to hold it would it? There's things in the way, and the VGA input wouldn't make it out of the back of the computer!

Attached File  rsz_img_0881.jpg   95.34KB   8 downloads

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Relax, it will fit (How many times have I said that in the past?).

On the rear of the case, pull the upper slot cover off, top 2 if it is a dual slot card.  The card goes in with all the components on the down side, away from the CPU and memory slots.  Main thing I worry about is clearance on the front side of the case, that is the usual problem.

EDIT:   47TMvAV.jpg

Edited by dpunisher, 24 July 2013 - 12:35 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 superrr

superrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Okay, thanks man. 
PM me or something. 
So, it WILL fit for sure? Even with all of those little things?

#9 superrr

superrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

See dude, this is what worries me. 
I hate being persistent with this, it just REALLY looks like it won't fit!

Attached File  rsz_1rsz_img_0882.jpg   98.5KB   6 downloads

#10 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

It should fit.

30lnz9j.jpg

Those two little Capacitors should not get in the way. I believe that's why they manufacture the most cards with this little gap. 

nvocjn.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users