Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dos Boot Disk On A Cd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

Can I make a laptop boot from a DOS boot disk on a cd?

I have a laptop with no floppy drive.
I have a DOS bootdisk on a floppy.

Can I burn the DOS files onto a cd and make the laptop boot to DOS from a cd? Is it possible?

What I am really trying to do is partition the hard drive by running DOS and fdisk. Does anyone know any other way to do this in my situation?

Thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

You should be able to do that and more with the Ultimate Boot CD. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
(Sorry to sound like a salesman.) :thumbsup:
JC

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:58 AM

SOLD!

Thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

Try Partition Logic it's freeware the bootable ISO file is only 3.5mb, much smaller than the download for the ultimate boot CD.

Partition Logic is a free hard disk partitioning and data management tool. It can create, delete, format, defragment, resize, and move partitions and modify their attributes. It can copy entire hard disks from one to another.

VERSION 0.61
26/01/2006

Overview: This is a maintenance release. Some new features include Disk Manager support for resizing NTFS filesystems and arbitrary partitions, purely unprivileged user-space processes, I/O port permissions and protection, IDE block mode I/O, Linux swap detection and clobber, improved atomic kernel locks, many C library additions, and a calendar program, in addition to assorted bug fixes.

* The Disk Manager can now resize Windows XP (NTFS) partitions, as a result of porting Linux ntfsprogs NTFS resizing code.
* The Disk Manager will now allow partition-only resizing regardless of the filesystem type (with appropriate warnings).
* All userspace programs now run in unprivileged CPU mode, regardless of actual privilege level, and I/O privilege maps have been implemented by Davide Airaghi.
* Improved IDE/ATA hard disk driver performance by implementing block-mode I/O.
* Added basic 'stub' NTFS filesystem support (detection and clobber).
* Added basic 'stub' Linux swap filesystem support (detection and clobber).
* The kernel's locking code now implements real atomic locking.
* Added Bauer Vladislav's calendar program.
* All threads now use the same page directory control data as their process parents for better synchronisation.
* Process stacks now have guard pages at the top which are privileged, so that user process stack overflows cause protection faults.
* The C library now has a proper suite of malloc() functionality -- taken from the kernel's implementation -- which is now used by the kernel instead so it can be used for user space without code duplication.
* Added a kernelMemoryBlockInfo() function to return information about an allocated memory block. Useful for the realloc() libc function.
* Added a kernel disk function for rescanning the partitions of a single disk.
* Added a lock to the 'progress' data structure.
* Implemented 'confirmation' capability in the progress structure and the libvsh and libwindow progress bar/dialog functions.
* Add a kernel filesystem function for getting statistics about a filesystem (whether it's mounted or not, or indeed, properly supported or not).
* Added a kernel filesystem function for getting resizing constraints.
* Added a kernel filestystem function for requesting specific detection of filesystem type (useful for removable media and such).
* The text-mode installer now offers to let you partition first.
* The text mode Disk Manager now show the operations/commands in two columns.
* Added a window library 'radio dialog' for presenting choices in a radio button format.
* The Disk Manager's 'move partition' and 'copy disk' functions now uses standard progress dialogs and show time estimates.
* The kernel logging thread now has a lock on the log, so that the log doesn't get garbled by different processes logging at the same time.
* The OS loader's screen output is now saved in a file (/system/vloader.log) so that it can be examined afterwards.
* Removed the source code from the ISO distribution.
* Printf()-style C library functions now support left-justification ('-') format specifiers.
* Added C library functions lltoa(), lltob(), lltox(), and ulltoa() to support 'long' format specifiers and arguments.
* Added C library functions mbstowcs(), mbtowc(), and wctomb() for wide-character support.
* Added C library functions fflush(), ffs(), fgets(), realloc(), strdup(), strerror(), vfprintf(), vprintf(), vsnprintf(), and vsprintf().
* Added C library functions for 64-bit divisions such as __div64(), __divdi3(), __moddi3(), etc.
* Enabled the C library functions such as fgetpos(), fread(), fsetpos(), fflush(), fgets(), ftell(), fprintf(), fseek() and fwrite() (as applicable) to behave correctly when the FILE* stream is 'stdin', 'stdout', or 'stderr'.
* Added C library header files endian.h, stdint.h, and <sys/cdefs.h>.
* Fixed: After formatting FAT32, Linux and older Windows installers would show the filesystem as 100% full.
* Fixed: Errors with IDE/ATA hard disks as secondary masters.
* Fixed: Unformatting (clobbering) a partition in the disk manager didn't seem to convince the kernel to un-detect the previous filesystem until reboot.
* Fixed: The graphical 'ifconfig' program wasn't updating the device text after starting/stopping networking.
* Fixed: The wallpaper program was not properly shutting down its window thread.
* Fixed: The imgboot program failed to exit after calling the login program.
* Fixed: There was a (harmless) error message when running the 'ldd' program against an executable program because it always tried to load the file as a library.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:19 PM

It is possible just goto your system BIOS by pressing either F1 or ESC when prompted to. Then set your system boot from CD-ROM. Make sure the files are not in a directory but just on the disk. Put your disk into your CD-ROM tray and have it boot to DOS. If you have all of the install disks then you can install from CD-ROM. If not then you will need to buy them then burn them to disk. Then you can boot from the disk with the installation files on it and install. Use FDISK to partition your drive. Now if you want CD-ROM access from DOS what you need to do is download oakcdrom.sys and put it in a directory labled CD-ROM. Then when your computer boots keep the instalation disk in the drive and press F3 to exit setup. Then type copy COPY D:\CD-ROM\oakcdrom.sys (D: is your CD-ROM drive) C:\DOS\ press ENTER (or RETURN.) Then type EDIT CONFIG.SYS add the following to it after C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

Then press ALT+F+S. Then press ALT+F+X

Then type EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT. Add the following command:

C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /l

Press ALT+F+S. Then press ALT+F+X

Put in your WindowsXP disk. (If you do not have your WindowsXP disk then none of this will help you multiboot.) Have it boot up then press R when it asks you to press ENTER OR R to repair. then type CGFBOOT /scan it should scan all HDD (Hard Disk Drives) for installations of MS-WINDOWS. Then type CGFBOOT /add type the number next to the WINDOWS it lists to add then press ENTER. (Most of the time it is 1) then you should be ready to go. Hope this helps if you need nemore help just PM me or post here. i can also be found in the CHAT ROOM alot.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users