Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with self built PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 steebin

steebin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

I bought a new PSU and case for my brothers computer, installed them, and the monitor wouldnt come out of sleep mode. All of the fans are running (CPU, graphics card, case fan) and the HDD is working as well. I tried plugging in another monitor and it didnt work either. I put the old PSU back in, nothing, and then the previous graphics card to no avail. What did I mess up/break along the way? Any help or troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

First, let me ask you a few questions. What kind of computer does your brother have-is it a OEM or home built? if its OEM (store bought) what is the brand and model number, plus any and all upgrades done, if its home built, can you please give a complete parts list.

Also, what made you think it was the PSU to start with? and what PSU did you replace it with?

finally, please tell us exactly what you did to install the new PSU. Thanks. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 steebin

steebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

The computer is home built.

Biostar A770E3 motherboard, AMD Phenom X3 processor, 4 gigs PNY DDR3 1333 ram, 500 GB WD green HD, 550W PSU

I had recently upgraded it to a Sapphire 100311-3L Radeon HD 6970 and decided to buy a new power supply because the 550W was the bare minimum recommended and was getting a bit loud. I went with a Coolmax ZX-700 700W supply and bought a Cougar Archon case for it all just because. When i first installed the card with the old power supply, everything was fine. 

Installing the new PSU I put it in the new case, then continued with the mobo, video card, HD etc. plugging wires in along the way. 

Ive been going back and taking things out one at a time to get back to a configuration i know worked, but i havent had any luck. 

Edited by steebin, 24 July 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Whenever you get NO VIDEO, try replacing the mobo Battery. Doesn't cost much, and quite often that is what causes NO VIDEO.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Whenever you get NO VIDEO, try replacing the mobo Battery. Doesn't cost much, and quite often that is what causes NO VIDEO.

No, just no.

First thing, when you put the old power supply back in, does it work?

Not going to badmouth Coolmax (Oh, who am I kidding?)  Coolmax power supplies tend to be about the bottom of the bottom feeders in the PSU business.  There is no such thing as a real 700 watt PSU for $50- just doesn't exist outside of Black Friday deals and lots of rebates. 

Try the old PSU with your last known good combination, and work from there.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users