Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acativex Problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hi Everyone

All of a sudden I am having a little notice pop up on my screen every time that I access my blog site. That notice says Microsoft Internet Explorer at the top, then has a big "!" in a blue balloon with Click to run an ActiveX control on this webpage.

I think that this is somehow connected to "Quick Time Player" because it didn't start until just after I had downloaded an update from Real Player.

Have any of you had anything like this happen to you after updating Quick Time Player? Can anyone tell me what I need to do to stop that thing from popping up like that?

I'm running Win XP Home with SP 2.

Thanks for any help
♥ Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 19 April 2006 - 03:28 PM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

Post the URL to the site. Let's see if others get the same message.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

Hi Albert Frankenstein, first I made an error in my description, it's Quick Time Player, not Real time. I don't want to put my site URL on here for public consumption, however, I'd be more than happy to PM, or Email it to you.
Thanks Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

sure. PM me!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

Open Internet Explorer. Go to: Tools > Internet Options > Security tab > Custom Level

Here you change the settings for Active X. My guess is that you have a setting at 'Prompt' and so you are getting prompted. Try Enable.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

Hi Albert Frankenstein, Thanks for the quick reply.

No I don't think that's it because under that setting I have the heading "ActiveX controls and plug-ins" and then the category "Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls" and it has always been set on "disabled", so what else could be doing that?

I've been going to both of those sites for quite awhile with no trouble, then suddenly after I downloaded the latest update for Quick Time Player I started getting that message.

So I'm pretty sure that it's connected to that program. Question is how do I get it to stop?

♥ Wendy

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

What about the setting under Run Active X Controls and Plugins ?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:57 PM

Latest Windows update requires manual install of active X---if someone who hasn't updated checks her blog site they wouldn't get the notice.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:29 AM

Hi Albert Frankenstein, Thanks for the reply. That setting is set to "Enabled" All of my security settings have been set for a long time, and I haven't changed anything there.

What I did do was download the latest update or version of the Quick Time Player. Things were working normally on those two sites that I gave you. I would open the page, and the music from those little players would just start automatically.

Then immediately after I downloaded that update I started getting that little message box every time that I opened either one of those two pages.

Sure makes me feel like something evil is going on there.

Hi buddy215, Thanks for the reply. Can you please be a little more specific there? How would windows updates have any effect on the Quick Time Player's updates?

Thanks for the help guys.
♥ Wendy

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:47 AM

see this article and others in Tech News for info on Active X change in IE

http://www.securitypipeline.com/news/185300871

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:19 AM

Let's check ActiveX on your computer by going to THIS website. A light brown bar may appear near the top of the page. Right click on this bar and choose "Install". Follow the directions on the page to make sure ActiveX on your computer is configured properly.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 20 April 2006 - 07:20 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#12 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

Here is an article about ActiveX and the windows updates last week.

Microsoft Sparks Backlash By Tying IE Changes To Patch
http://www.securitypipeline.com/news/185300871

THis might shed a little light on what's happening.

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:27 AM

Hi ThorXP, and buddy215, Thanks for the link guys. I almost went blind trying to read all of that tiny print, but I got through it anyway. I just can't say that it helped me though, other than to say that it let me know that Microsoft has goofed yet again.

Hi Albert Frankenstein, I did as you said, and according to that site my ActiveX stuff is all working like it's supposed to.

So anyway, I know that whatever my problem is seems to be limited to those two web pages that I sent you. Each of them have a quick time player that is supposed to just start playing whenever you access the page. So is there something that I might need to set manually?

I mean it's weirding me out here because it doesn't matter whether I click OK, or just close that little box, nothing works on either page until I click one or the other, then the tune starts, and the page works just fine.

Thanks for any help.
♥ Wendy

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:44 AM

OK, now you and the techies that view this forum should know that the changes to viewing your site involves the latest Windows updates, the next question is are there any workarounds. I would not uninstall the updates and take a chance on leaving oneself vulnerable to the malware that is being developed to take advantage of the critical flaws in Windows that the updates patched. Having to click on a popup doesn't seem to me to be all that much of a nuisance. Perhaps there is something like a different format for your blog site that would work. I am not that techie to advise you on that. It must be a relief though to know that it is not malware causing the problem.

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

Sure makes me feel like something evil is going on there.

You might be correct.

Active X controls aren't always good ones. Are you using Spybot's immunize feature and Spyware Blaster to protect against bad sites and Active X controls? You should.

I would uninstall Quicktime from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, then re-install it from Apple's site.

If that doesn't fix the problem, there may be something else going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users