Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emirpk

emirpk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hi,

I've been having some problems with Firefox. It started out with warnings about the shockwave plugin being unresponsive. Sometimes it would hang Firefox and I would have to go into the task manager to close the process. So I followed someone's advice and updated all my plugins but the problem still persists. The second problem I have is being redirected to some sponsor.advertisitial.com website when browsing a popular website (gamefaqs.com). This has only happened twice and I could not find any real information about sponsor.advertisitial.com. I'm also not sure if this is a problem on my end or the gamefaqs website. The third thing I noticed was an unresponsive script warning from some website scorecardresearch.com which I hear can be malware-related, though I'm not 100% sure if that's the case here.

I've run scans with Avira and MalwareBytes which detected nothing. I also ran a tdsskiller scan which found three suspicious objects which were confirmed to be safe.

Are these issues I'm having a sign of an infection or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks.

Edited by emirpk, 23 July 2013 - 04:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

:welcome:

Post the log of TDSSKiller into your next reply.

The shockwave plugin issue can be an other issue then the redirecting issue. 

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#3 emirpk

emirpk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

*Edit* I was just wondering if maybe I should/could move this to the "Am I infected" forum since the redirection is really my main concern and potentially malware related.

Thank you again.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I ran another tdsskillerr scan and the results were the same as the first time. Three suspicious objects found but all are confirmed to be safe by totalvirus.com. Below is a copy of the just scan results (not the entire log, it's pretty lengthy and I'd prefer put all that information out there if I don't have to =]). Actually I haven't had the redirections or constant shockwave plugin issues for a day or two now, I don't know if turning off certain plugins did the trick. Any additional info would be welcome though and again thank you for your help.

18:20:44.0108 6212  ============================================================
18:20:44.0108 6212  Scan finished
18:20:44.0108 6212  ============================================================
18:20:44.0117 6204  Detected object count: 3
18:20:44.0117 6204  Actual detected object count: 3
18:21:56.0283 6204  Akamai ( HiddenFile.Multi.Generic ) - skipped by user
18:21:56.0283 6204  Akamai ( HiddenFile.Multi.Generic ) - User select action: Skip
18:21:56.0284 6204  DellDigitalDelivery ( UnsignedFile.Multi.Generic ) - skipped by user
18:21:56.0284 6204  DellDigitalDelivery ( UnsignedFile.Multi.Generic ) - User select action: Skip
18:21:56.0286 6204  usj ( UnsignedFile.Multi.Generic ) - skipped by user
18:21:56.0286 6204  usj ( UnsignedFile.Multi.Generic ) - User select action: Skip

Edited by emirpk, 25 July 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#4 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

:step1:  Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

MiniToolBox.PNG

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Close your browsers and click Go. Post the Result.txt located in the same directory as the tool.

:step2:  ESET Online Scanner

==================

Note: If your AV is blocking Eset online scanner, please temporarily disable your AV.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan This process may may take several hours, that is normal.

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and » UNCHECK "Remove found threats" <== Important
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Copy and paste the information in your next reply. (If no malware was found you will not be presented with a log).
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

===================================================

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#5 emirpk

emirpk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hi King,

Thank you for your reply. Since I haven't had any issues in the past few days, I'd like to hold off on downloading extra software to run those checks (I'm a little wary of downloading anything on this laptop). If the problems appear again I will definitely look into your instructions.

Thank you again for you help.

#6 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

:thumbup2: That's a smart idea. Happy surfing the web again. 

#7 d0ug

d0ug

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I have a problem with firefox I install a program and if ask me if I wanted a toolbar and to make my start up page to http://start.search.us.com/v/2/?guid={14799221-F634-41F5-8D3B-F1CB4203A232}&serpv=5 I said no but it installed it any ways now I can not change it. I tried changing my start up page to yahoo and when I shut down fire fox and restart it goes back to the other start web site. Little frustrating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users