Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BetterCareerSearch toolbar

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kalidevi

Kalidevi

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I got a job offer on odesk and was asked to interview via skype.  The man asked me to install this toolbar, so I could have a demo of it and see if I wanted to help promote it.  Hesitant, I felt something wasn't quite right, so I ran the link in an online scanner and everything came back clean, so I installed.  Firefox stopped the request, so I had to allow it.  Then Advanced System Care did the same for 2 different start up items.  I know to trust my gut, but I thought since this was from odesk, this would be legit. 

I install the toolbar and review it.  It allows you to search for a job on all of the major job search boards with one click.  It was a bit cheesy, but I could see how it would be useful.  Still feeling not right about it, but a bit too late, because I already installed. Then, the man proceeds to tell me that they offer no interest loans for $300-900 to be paid back within 6 months. He said since they know freelancers sometimes struggle, they like to help them out, because happy employees, whatever. Okay, so this has scam written all over it.

I disabled and removed the toolbar through Firefox addons.  Then, I uninstalled through add/remove programs. My concern is there might be something lingering, something stealthy, stealing my info or perhaps a trojan, rootkit, etc.  What can I do?  How can I check for this?

Is there anyone that can help me check my computer for the aforementioned? Pretty, pretty please?

I am working on a toshiba satellite, running windows 7.  Thanks!

P.S.  Will using my computer under a different user be safer at this time, until I get it figured out?

P.P.S  I just ran malwarebytes and it didn't find anything.

Edited by Kalidevi, 23 July 2013 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Please download and perform a scan with AdwCleaner by Xplode.
This is a utility which will identity and remove any unknown Toolbars, adware and potential unwanted programs (PUP).
You can refer to these instructions: How To Use AdwCleaner

- A logfile (AdwCleaner.txt) will automatically open in Notepad after the scan has finished.
- The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it.
- Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool thisisujrt.gif and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users