Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Suddenly Not Seeing Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

This is really strange.  I have two other laptops that are seeing the wireless network just fine, but the other one suddenly stopped seeing it.

Here's the info:

Laptop: HP G60 (running on Vista)

Wireless Router: Cisco Linksys WRT-310N

This router has been working wirelessly fine on this network for over a year, than all a sudden blamo the laptop won't see the network. 

Please Note: When I installed the network I also installed Cisco's NETWORK MAGIC.  It works like a champ and makes it very easy to link to a network.  Now it gives me a message that there are no wireless networks in range, which is obviously not right, since I have two other laptops in the same room running just fine on that same wireless network.

If anyone has a simple checklist or troubleshooting thing they could email to me, that would probably solve it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for all the help from the members of this wonderful forum

(FYI: I have restarted the laptop numerous times: no change.  The networking button on top of the keyboard is now glowing ORANGE..  When I press and hold it down, it goes BLUE for about five seconds, then back to ORANGE.)

Thanks Again,

EducatedGuess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Just for testing purposes, do you have a usb adapter that you can use to test the wireless with? Almost sounds like your radio is faulty in the laptop, so using an usb adapter may help pin point the problem.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Chris, hi and thanks.  I can buy a USB adapter.  What kind, and how would I use it?  Thanks again.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Any kind of wireless adapter will work as long as it supports your wireless standard such as b/g/n. I personally have good use out of my Belkin Wireless G USB network adapter that I use for testing.

You will use it the same way that you normally use the wireless on the laptop besides having to install the drivers first before more than likely you'll be able to use it.

Also make sure that you get one that is compatible with your operating system such as Windows 7 and etc.

Once you have the drivers installed and it's plugged in ready to go, it will detect your wireless network(s) the same way that it did before.

*Also if you open up device manager by going to Start ORB- type in device manager, and then click on it and open it. Under Network Adapters, what does yours say? Does it have any symbols such as a red X or a yellow triangle?*

*Also I believe you should just press the wireless button once and it should turn on, without having to hold it in.*

Edited by chrisd87, 24 July 2013 - 12:34 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users