Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

awful, disorienting sound when filming with a DCR-SR47 Handycam

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi all,

I finally got my Sony DCR-SR47Handycam working.  well, partially anyway.  I've figured out how to film with it, how to transfer content from it, and so on.  However, there is a major, major problem with the audio.  Whenever I play one of the videos from it using any media player on my computer, I just get the visuals plus this awful, horrible, broken tape recorder-like sound that is supposed to be my airconditioner in the background, though it happens even when there is less noise in the background; camcorders are supposed to render the background noise as what it is, not as whatever this is.  I just did a test with it, and you can't even hear me talking; all you get is this awful noise.  Is there a way I can fix the auto gain on the camcorder?  I'll attach one of the MPGs (I just listened to one of the files from about four years ago when we filmed some takes from my high school graduation, and even they have this awful sound on here as well; though from the camera itself, I do not think this issue occurs.) if requested, though I warn you not to play it with headphones in your ears; that's how ear-splitting the sound is.  Any help on this would be very much appreciated as I want to begin to use this camcorder as my primary filming device for my YouTube videos and such. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Just a suggestion, in reading up on your Camcorder it saye that it has a special microphone system, supposedly more sensitive.

If you go to page #64 in the PDF instructions for your camera in this link, at the bottom of the page it tells how to change the microphone settings, have you tried this?

I do not know if it will help, but it might be worth a try.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DCRSR47_handbook.pdf

PS. I just noticed that that audio adjustment is only available on SR67 & SR87 models according to the PDF manual,so you may not be able to adjust your SR47.

Edited by GB2064, 23 July 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

We're going to take a look at that when my father gets a chance; he'll be the one who has to do it since I'm blind and can only do the most obvious things due to lack of speech in the touch screen (gosh, that'd be cool; a camcorder with speech built in so that the blind can change more settings on it.)  But thank you for the page reference; it will save us from hunting around for it.  And talk about sensitive; holy crap. 

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

As I said, you may not be able to adjust your model, but check and see.

If you cant I would contact Sony about the problem, I did check, and I can not find any Firmware updates available for that model.

So if the problem persists, I would definatly contact Sony.

Anyway, Good luck!

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hey guys,

I figured out what is going on; it had nothing to do with the auto-gain on the microphone thank goodness.  It is simply Windows 8 I think not knowing how to render .mpg files correctly.  I took all of the videos on the camera through a WinFF conversion to .MP4, and they all play fine.

#6 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Glad to hear you got it working!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users