Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with network issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cjay58

Cjay58

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hi all- Im having some issues currently with a business network.I will try my best to explain here;

We have recently taken over the management of a business and no one knew the password to connect wirelessly, so I reset the router. I did the hard reset by sticking a paper clip into the  the back of the router since I couldn't connect using the default IP. I was able to reconfigure the router to allow for protected wireless internet which Im using on my laptop now, but what I didn't think of was that by resetting the router all local network settings were changed.The two PC desktop computers (one running windows server 2003 and the other windows 7 home edition.).The network still works as these two computers communicate with each other but neither of them can access internet. They are set on static IP addresses which I suppose I could change to auto but Im unsure if they would still be able to communicate as they must for the POS system to operate correctly. Ive gone into the router many times to try different things but it seems nothing works. I have not been able to reboot the computers yet after each router adjustment since we are using the system but Im not sure if this is actually necessary anyhow(tell me if I am wrong please).

Please help if you can. This is driving me nuts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

1.Verify the router has the correct WAN information for your modem or ISP connection . If you have a static IP assigned by your ISP this must entered into the WAN setup page on the router along with a static DNS address . If your IP is dynamic make sure the router has been assigned an IP address, subnetmask, and DNS from your modem. On one of the computers try and ping 8.8.4.4 from the command prompt if you get a response try pinging Google.com. let me know what happens.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 August 2013 - 01:15 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users